Octopus laid eggs in captivity

ritche_m

Hatchling
Registered
My octopus laid eggs in captivity. Some say they die after their eggs hatch because of starvation but my octopus continues to feed during night time. Is my octopus one of a kind? :smile:

Hi ritche_m Welcome to tonmo.com

It is common for octopuses to keep feeding after they have laid the eggs. A female briareus i had coninued to eat for many weeks after laying eggs. Generally they stop feeding towards the end of the incubation period or even after the eggs have hatched.

You should keep feeding her, but pay close attention to whether she is actually eating the food or not. She may catch and kill anything getting too close to her territory as she will perceive it to being a threat to her eggs and then not actually eat it.

What species of octo do you have? There are many people who visit here who can help you rear the youngsters :smile:

Cheers
C

Thanks C!

My octopus is on its fourth week of captivity and it laid eggs last week. It is just the common octopus (octopus vulgaris i think). Unfortunately, the octopus died this morning :frown: and I don't know why. So I placed the eggs near the aerator so that bubbles can pass through it, i don't know if this is the right thing to do to save them. I hope these eggs will survive.

ritche_m said:
Thanks C!

My octopus is on its fourth week of captivity and it laid eggs last week. It is just the common octopus (octopus vulgaris i think). Unfortunately, the octopus died this morning :frown: and I don't know why. So I placed the eggs near the aerator so that bubbles can pass through it, i don't know if this is the right thing to do to save them. I hope these eggs will survive.

Yes, that is the right thing to do. Put the aerator near the eggs so that they get a mild current, not to much. If you have worked with freshwater Angelfish eggs and raised them w/o thier parents, the method is the same.

As you have not had your octopus that long, the eggs are very likely to be fertile. They should be grain of rice size if they are from an O. vulgaris. These small egged octopuses are difficult to raise. Think mysid shrimp. . . You should have loads (tens of thousands or more) of eggs, they ship well if you want to share them with others looking for a challenge.

There are hundreds of eggs in each strand and they are a little smaller than a grain of rice. I think there are about 30 strands of eggs. How many days will these eggs hatch?
I am from the Philippines and since we are in an archipelago, people here live in the coast lines specially those in the provinces. The mother octopus was given to me by a friend who lives in a coastal town here. It was their "source" of food.
I will probably give some of these eggs to the Silliman Marine Laboratory here for adoption. :smile: Anyways, if somebody is willing to take the challenge of keeping an octopus, i will surely give some. :smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back