• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus isnt eating!!!

Brock Fluharty;81232 said:
Then he is probably just not hungry. I don't think i've ever seen an octo not eat a hermit, lol. Take a census.

hahaha ah! I beg to differ! Hehehehe I had "tester" hermits in my tank before I got an aculeatus. I did not get attached to them, thinking Beaker would make dinner out of them. I can say I still have all the hermits but one....must have been emergency food. He ignores them completely....which could be a blessing, they make an excellent cleanup crew for his mess.....

Brock Fluharty;81241 said:
Lol, wow. Was he a large octo?

Eh, he's about midsize for an aculeatus, maybe 2" mantle?....I think he's just lazy. He worked hard to eat that one, and he knows eventually I'll give him something to munch on, so he pretty much ignores his tankmates....he'll even climb right over them. I saw him let the crabs eat fiddler remains in front of his den once....totally floored me! Hehehe

Fishfreak218;81218 said:
.... theaquaculturestore is expensive... 10 fidlers for 13.95...
so if i want 20.. then that cost me like $27. and 20 wont last long...

Why did you expect live food to be inexpensive?

i didnt think it was going to be $14 for 10 fiddler crabs...
but.. if i do the math.. its actually is really cheap.. its about $0.71 for a fidller crab.. i used to pay $10 a week for my leaf fish (3 damsels a week... a ghost shrimp and mollies)its really isnt that bad after thinking about it

lolol^
anyway..today i am almost positive he ate... if he didnt he sure did fool me!
He came out and sat on the back wall... so i put some krill on a stick and offered it to him.. he grabbed it with 2 tenticles and then brought it towards his mouth... since then he has been sitting there.. just looking at me.... for about 10 mintues... and his colors are a little pale w/ a blue shine... and some brown in them.. i dont know if he is stressed or relaxed... his breathing is normal...
here is some pics for you gus.. help w/ an ID would be great.. his arms are about 15" long and his mantle is 2" (does the mantle count the eyes to?.. if so then his mantle is 2.5" maybe 3")
OctopusTank016.jpg

OctopusTank015.jpg

OctopusTank013.jpg

well.. he ate 3 peices of krill tonite.... so im VERY happy. last night i got all freaked out :smile: lol.. ill keep you guys updated...
also he better NOT be a vulgaris!
but he doesnt look like any i have seen... so im not too woried

well. today he ate a peice off the stick and then a different peice dropped off the feeding stick so i went to get it and he must have goten excited... he turned brownish red and started chasing my hand around the tank.. im not sure if he was curious.. but i only let him touch me once with one tenticle... next time should i let him investigate?
Im afraid he will bite me and i will have an allergic reaction or jerk back and scare him into not liking me or something.. lol

is it bad if his arms are curled up? almost like when u take scissors and streak it across a ribbon and the ribbon curls up..
(maybe im thinking of stingrays.. when there disk curls up its usually bad news)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back