• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus isnt eating!!!

Were the rolling eyes directed at me?

Fishfreak,

If you researched, and are not new to aquariums, then surely you came accross information stating that skimmers are a necessity. As I am sure you did, why did you think your octo could go a few months without one? That's like buying high light SPS corals before you get your MH's. Doesn't work. The algaes don't help unless you regularly take portions of them out. If they are in the main tank, they can lead to pH swings when the lights are off. I'm sorry if it sounds like i'm attacking you in any way, but we all always here excuses like "well, I was going to upgrade when they get bigger", or "i'm young, and couldn't afford a skimmer". If you can't afford the equipment, then don't get the livestock. I am also young, probably the same age, maybe even younger than you. I'm 14, and have been putting off getting an octo for nearly (if not exactly) a year now, because I didn't have a large enough tank, or a decent skimmer. Nor did I think I could dedicate myself to live foods if need be. Now I have a proper sized tank, decent skimmer rated for over twice the tank volume, and a source nearby for live foods. Also, did you buy this tank used? Have you tested for copper? I'm not asking if you think there is any copper in the tank. I'm asking if you've tested your water for it. If it was use,d someone could have used a copper based ich medication in the tank, which will stay in your tank virtually forever, in the seams, filters, etc.

ok,
first i dont buy stuff i cant afford b.c (and this has become a problem on another board but people dont attack me im not trying to be snobby)
i can afford anything i buy.. i have 'undrestricted' funds as long as its spent on something reasonable...if need be i can go and get a skimmer this weekend.. or go and get a larger tank.. or buy live food every month..
ok now,
the tank was not used.. i dont buy used equipment for reasons like this..
i know for a fact that there is no copper
and i have never heard they are a necessity they are simply "strongly suggested"
nothing has gone in this tank that has touched copper

They are a necessity in most people's views. If your octo (at the size it is) would ink, then it would most likely suffocate before you would know it. Not attacking you, but wouldn't it mean more if you earned the money?

wat do you mean?
I get alot of enjoyment from my tanks....
and really i dont think i would enjoy it any more if it was my money... actually my tanks would decline.. i have quite a few.. and to pay for all of them..
YEAH RIGHT! besides spending my money is painful
and i dont have a job.. and dont have time for one

I don't have a job either. I have 4 tanks right now. 2 mixed reefs, and 1 octo tank.

Well, obviously you get enjoyment out of your tanks, when something dies, it wasn't your money to begin with.

I still don't understand why the lack of a proper environment, especially if your parents are willing to buy you anything you so wish. You've read (I thought, maybe you haven't though) the ceph care articles in the library. If you saw that most cephs (unless a dwarf) requires a tank of at least 50 gallon, with a skimmer, etc., then why not do it right the first time? If your parents are buying, then why would you get a 30 instead of the recommended 50, and go skimmerless instead of the recommend skimmer rated 3x the tank volume it is on. How long have you been keeping saltwater tanks?

Please understand that I am not trying to attack you in any way. Just trying to understand your situation, and see your reasoningfor providing a less-than-suitable habitat for your animal.

you'll get richer by not spending your money.. i save my money.. and spend my dads while i can...
you dont get rich by flaunting ur money around..and i know some kids parents make them pay for everything but i am fortunate and mine dont.. and im going to take that opportunity to save my money

I don't think that providing a suitable habitat for the animals that YOU took out of the ocean is flaunting. If you save your money, and are getting richer, then you should be able to buy your own stuff. The kids that parents make them spend their own money on everything learn the value of hard earned cash. When you want something, you ask daddy. Ever heard the ld saltwater phrase "Sometimes a lack of funds is a blessing, it makes you wait for your tank to mature rather than stocking it right away"? Maybe this is why your octopus is dying. If you would have done things right, you wouldn't be in this situation.

:chillpil:

Ok, time out. Let's concentrate on what can be done for the octopus, I don't think ripping into each other about attitudes about money is going to help much (although it is possible that money can be leveraged to help the octo).

:yinyang:

I honestly don't see what can be done. It seems to me that he is stressed because he is in such a small tank. I just measured my step-dad's 30 gallon FW, and it's 30" long, and 12" wide. Not much room for an octo that's around 18" total length, not to mention not having a skimmer. I alsodon't see how you can go out and buy a new tank and expect that to be successful. Takes 3 months to cycle an octo tank. That's about 2 months and 28 days you don't have.

i love how your accusing me of doing things the wrong way..
basically what my point was...i dont spend my own money b/c i have my dads money and im not some spoiled brat kid...
and my animals certainly dont suffer!
and like i said before my tank has been running for around 5 months
the actual "cycling" doesnt last that long... the cycling lasts about a week... maturation is wat you get by waiting months...and i had an eel and a cherub angel before the octopus... they were moved out the day before...
aslo as i said before im not new at this therefor i dont rush things to quickly
also monty is right and i can spend as much as i need for the octopus (which was something i was trying to say in my first post concerning money)

Brock Fluharty;81693 said:
I honestly don't see what can be done. It seems to me that he is stressed because he is in such a small tank. I just measured my step-dad's 30 gallon FW, and it's 30" long, and 12" wide. Not much room for an octo that's around 18" total length, not to mention not having a skimmer. I alsodon't see how you can go out and buy a new tank and expect that to be successful. Takes 3 months to cycle an octo tank. That's about 2 months and 28 days you don't have.
LOL!! cycling an octopus tank
its the same thing as cycling a normal tank!
lolololol plus i would use only cured rock.....
its not like the cycling lasts for 3 months anyway.. wat happens in that 3 months? can u explain it to me, why those 2 months are needed? As long as im using LR that is able to sustain a high bioload (its used to being in a high bioload tank.. therefore more bacteria.)
besides keeping the tank stable.. but i would be using all cured LR

Just because you have experience with saltwater in general means nothing about your experience in keeping cephalopods. If your octopus' arms are curling up, and everyone is telling you that it's a sign of stress, that is a pretty good indicator that it's suffering.

Fishfreak218;81694 said:
i dont spend my own money b/c i have my dads money and im not some spoiled brat kid...

Wow, love that line.

Bottom line is, there are a few things missing in your tank setup. I suggest you get these things ASAP. If you wanna get technical, then fine. The MATURING process is what takes 3 months. You could use a spell check yourself there bud.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back