Octopus Intelligence

Mermaid

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hi guys,
Im new to ceph care, im actually getting my first octopus tomorrow (reef octopus)...tanks setup and running fine...i just have a few questions.
What sort of toys or equipment can i provide to entertain my octopus...i have read that they are very intelligence creatures and can literally die of bordem. I have at least 30kg live rock, a glass bottle and some plastic piping (all non-toxic), do i need anything else?
Also i know they are curious...do i need to cover my powerheads with something so the octopus doesn't get his arms stuck in it?
And one last question...do you think the octopus will eat or be afraid of a birdnose wrasse (about 5inchs)...as he also occupies the tank.

Mermaid said:
Hi guys,
Im new to ceph care, im actually getting my first octopus tomorrow (reef octopus)...tanks setup and running fine...i just have a few questions.
What sort of toys or equipment can i provide to entertain my octopus...i have read that they are very intelligence creatures and can literally die of bordem. I have at least 30kg live rock, a glass bottle and some plastic piping (all non-toxic), do i need anything else?
Also i know they are curious...do i need to cover my powerheads with something so the octopus doesn't get his arms stuck in it?
And one last question...do you think the octopus will eat or be afraid of a birdnose wrasse (about 5inchs)...as he also occupies the tank.

:welcome: It's very important to keep the octo out of the powerhead-- see the "Powerheads?" thread in tank talk (Powerheads?) for a recent discussion of that, but someone lost an octo to powerhead mangling a few months ago.

I'll leave it to the experts to answer your other questions, but I figured I better point you at the powerhead protection suggestions so you can be sure the tank is safe before the octo arrives (the wrasse might be an issue for that as well, but I don't really know).

Hi Mermaid and :welcome:

Monty's right the powerhead MUST be covered! In fact any inlet/outlet, tiny gaps must be covered, duct tape is an octopus keepers best friend!

As far as enrichment goes, some members here have had fun with leggo, baby toys are pretty good too, we had one who loved shape sorters (a big species mind you!). They will also make their own "fun " with shells, feeding sticks, cleaning magnets and so on....be inventive! Only thing be sure the toys have no copper on them (copper is fatal in minute doses to octis!) and don't wash them in detergent!

Don't forget to post pictures of your friend!

Cheers

J

PS we keep spotted wrasse (Notolabrus celidotus)in with our octis ( Pinnoctopus cardiformis similar to the Maori Octopus Octopus maorum) occasionally but have to be prepared for a quick rescue when they either get harrassed or start harrassing!

thanks guys :smile: ,
Dont worry my tank is virturally escape proof (i hope so)...i just wasn't sure about the powerheads.
And il just see how the wrasse goes...if its not a success, then the wrasse is gone...

Mermaid said:
thanks guys :smile: ,
Dont worry my tank is virturally escape proof (i hope so)...

:lol: :lol: Not laughing at you but with you (incipient hysteria actually!) we have our tank sealed up to the roof plus the inlets/outlets are meshed and he STILL GETS OUT!!!!!!! Seriously considering setting up the time lapse video to find out how he does it!

I see you're in Sydney. What species are you getting? The Sand flat octopus is cute Octopus pallidus I think?

J

Nancy said:
Jean, how did the large octi play with the shape sorter?

Nancy

Removed all the shapes! through the holes! We eventually trained him to get a toy crab out! He would sometimes play sink the shapes too! and liked to get them into the waterflow and chase them!

J

I had a feeling you would laugh at me when i said i've made the aquarium escape proof...:smile:
Unfortuantly im unsure of the species of octopus im recieving...i've been waiting for an octopus for several monthes now...with the only one available being the blue ringed octopus, and i wasn't keen on starting with them.
Until finally last week a reef octopus came on the list...and thats all i know...but i still havn't got him yet as the order has not been confirmed:sad:
The only octopus i can get in sydney is on my dinner plate in a seafood restaurant!

ewww. Chewy fish gum !

Once you get your octo, you'll be amazed at the tricks it will pull on you...sort of like a hyperactive three year old who doesn't talk with a wicked sense of humor.

greg

Live crabs and shrimps are good. So are lots of shells he can pile around the doorway to his lair.
If you have too many problems you could always contact the closest fishermans co-op and see what they can do for you. illegal to go thru individual boats most time but many of the co-op dudes are really friendly and helpful hey. Live is not always a drama!

I used to freeze food into an ice cube and let them try and pull it down for the food. Especially thinking of your location and the itme of year it might help to keep them cool!

Be good to see some photos, it's nice to have a bit of diversity on here. For all the people on here who keep cephs there are only a very small number of species actually kept. A nice Aussie octo would be a lovely addition to it all!

~Andy

Yog-Sothoth said:
Whats a octos normal skill at mazes? That is, can they learn a maze. And if so, what happens if new maze is introduced?

Yes they can. If a new maze is introduced they'll feel their way along it....and learn it too. They seem to have a reasonable spatial memory. It all makes sense when you consider that many octopus's normal environment is a rocky reef........a maze made of rocks!!

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back