octopus info

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by flatidbit, Mar 6, 2008.

1. flatidbit

flatidbit Cuttlefish Registered

I am looking for information on the octopus species O. hummelinki and the O. aculeatus. I would like to know if they are right for my tank. I would also like to know what type of personality they have.

I have a 75 gallon tank w/ canister filter sump w/ live-rubble, a protien skimmer and a water temp of about 80*.

If anyone has any other suggestions for a octo species pleas let me know.

2. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

Your tank is large enough for those two for sure. You should read through the Journals and Photos forum. There are many journals on those two species fairly recently. 80 degrees might be a little bit too warm. You should put a fan on your sump and cool it down 4 or 5 degrees.

3. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Either of those species would be fine for your tank (but not both of them together!)

Both species are interesting to keep and friendly.

Nancy

4. Octavarium

Octavarium Wonderpus Registered

My hummelincki does extremely well in his 28...your tank would be great for him. Temp of 76 I keep him at, usual temp where they are found in Carribean. Hes out during the day, and in the open a lot. Great appetite, and great personality. Aculeatus I don't know much about, I'll let others answer. But you won't be dissapointed with a hummelincki as a pet.