Octopus in captivity(for commercial food industry)

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Site Owner
The producer of the videos below (Spanish Institute of Oceanography / Vigo Research Center) contacted me and asked me to share these videos with the community. Very informative and quite interesting -- painfully, though, they offer a rare glimpse into some of the logistics and considerations for raising octopus for commercial purposes (octopuses as food).

WOW! That was amazing! Thanks for sharing I thought this was very cool, and I too someday hope to work with octopuses in such away. I recently went back to college to study aquaculture so for me seeing it being done with octopuses so successfully is very exciting.

It was cool to see that they were successful with a small egged species. I want to know more about the tanks the juveniles were kept in. I loved the shots of the babies under the microscope feeding, Very cool how you can see the food traveling inside there bodies. Also I was amazed at how many they kept together in one tank.

Again Thanks for sharing!

CaptFish,

Congrats on the back to school efforts!

Unfortunately, the only small egg successes we are aware of are all flow through (water from the ocean) tanks and I don't know of any reported here in the states (likely because the commercial value is low). I keep hoping Seattle will attempt it with the GPO but, as far as I know, they have never set up a separate system for this purpose and have never had any of the hatchlings to survive in the huge tank (that does have piped in water). It would be exceptional if you can get to the point where you could play with an octo aquaculture project in the acedemic environment.

Aren't those small egged? it says they are 2mm.
Yes, vulgaris is a small egg species. We have been able to hatch with survival, some of the large egg species but vulgaris is pelagic for a couple of months and is a lot of the reason they are all over the world.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back