• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus in a kreisel tank?

Anyone ever kept an octopus in a kreisel? Getting a bimac shipped to me this Wednesday and it will go into the museum I run, the Children's Science Center Lab, and I was thinking that the kreisel in my driveway might actually be a nice home for it and keep it very viewable for all of our visitors.

Anyone have any thoughts? It would certainly be easy to keep it escape proof...

How would you filter it? I would think this style is too self-contained for the waste an octopus creates but I may be misunderstanding the filtration setup.

Is this a relatively new hatchling or an older animal? I would worry about hatchlings getting trapped but something with 2-3 inch arms should be able to navigate the circular current as long as there is some kind of cave/rockwork where it can hide. Can you set up the external filter to fully turn over the water and pick up the waste without sucking up the octo?

Its a neat idea but if I was going to set up or make a kreisel tank it would be a jelly tank. Doing it for an octo seems like a lot of extra work for what? Don't get me wrong its a super cool tank but I don't see any advantage for an octo. Most all of the ones I have seen have no rock in them so to me if you put rock in one it kind of defeats the purpose. You would break up the great flow that works so well for that tank. Could you explain what your idea is? I love the idea of different and crazy tanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back