Octopus identification help! PLEASE

:welcome: Goodwin9!

It looks like you have a very colorful octo! Does it give off a blue-green sheen when you shine light on it, have false eye spots, act nocturnal, or have dark brown lines down the front of the first three arm pairs?

Joey

Upvote 0
I have attached a few photos that I took of my octopus in hopes that I can get an identfication. I had someone tell me it was a bimac. Hard for me to tell, so experienced people please help out.

Thanks!

Attachments

• conv_289472.jpg
    conv_289472.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 113
  • conv_289473.jpg
    conv_289473.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 129
  • conv_289474.jpg
    conv_289474.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 92
Upvote 0
I was examining the first pic displayed - your octo appears to have a false eyespot - does he really have one of these circles below each eye?

Have a look at the first photo in the Bimac Care Sheet.
Cephalopod Care
Bimacs have false eyespots with unbroken chains, as shown.

Very few bimacs are on the market now, but they were very common more than a year ago because they were being tank bred.

Nancy

Upvote 0
Nancy;77935 said:
I was examining the first pic displayed - your octo appears to have a false eyespot - does he really have one of these circles below each eye?

Have a look at the first photo in the Bimac Care Sheet.
Cephalopod Care
Bimacs have false eyespots with unbroken chains, as shown.

Very few bimacs are on the market now, but they were very common more than a year ago because they were being tank bred.

Nancy

Nancy

I took another look and couldn't see any spots, I looked through some of the other photos I had taken, and found this one on the opposit side from the first picture above. Would this be considered an eye? Certainly not as bright as in your picture, so what do you think?

Attachments

• conv_289475.jpg
    conv_289475.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 78
Upvote 0
I don't think its Bimaculoides. It doesn't have the common coloration and eye-spot style a Bimaculoides has. It's very dark, textured and thick...and could be a different species. It just has to be a species native to the Caribbean.

Upvote 0
Mucktopus I think you are correct this looks like a filosus, I think we are very special not many people in this forum have octopi like us, I moved from California where I had the pacific ocean and my Pacific Ocean Cephalopod tank. In that tank I had a Bimac.... I moved to Florida to Study Marine Biology and now I have my Caribbean/Atlantic/Gulf cephalopod tanks. I am in the Caribbean every weekend and I have seen many octopuses,any questions ask me I will post some pictures of mine, his name is Stanley..

Attachments

• conv_289735.jpg
    conv_289735.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 80
  • conv_289736.jpg
    conv_289736.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 121
  • conv_289737.jpg
    conv_289737.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 106
Upvote 0
My filosus, is much smaller but very similar to my vulgaris, I tell them apart by, (Well most of the time they are in seperate tanks and other than my vulgaris is 3 times the size than my filosus), by their suckers, vulgaris usually dark on the edges, and the filosus has the eyespot. I supose it could be a vulgaris but im pretty sure its a filosus how big is your friend?. Mucktopus

Upvote 0
Well, for the topic...Goodwin's octopus must definately be a Filosus. I guess with these species, their distinctive mainly for their smaller eyespots, and darker colored skin. They express a lot of texture too.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back