Octopus ID TINY

Today I saw the smallest octopus I've ever seen. Smaller then when I got mine. Must be at most a couple months old unless it's a dwarf. mantle was probably not an inch.

This is a cell phone pic so it's not super clear. The eye looks different then the briareus. I know it's from the caribbean. It's from the same supplier as my guy.

sumoct.JPG

Again best I could do, and although this is a local reef shop it's still further then any of the other reef shops I frequent so he'll be gone by the time I'm back.

I was however asked if I was interested in these guys + a chiller

sumnaut.JPG

Really surprised to see them doing well as they landed a couple weeks ago, they are being kept at 70 degrees (colder at night) the coral in with them seems fine and they are being fed by hand. If I had another empty tank and money for a chiller I probably would have came home with one.

Apparently someone local bought NINE Nautalis' I wonder if that person is a lurker on tonmo? I'd love to see that setup.

Corpusse,
The top photo is indeed a dwarf, O. mercatoris. We have not seen many of them in the past two years so I am glad to see them starting to show up this year.

Upvote 0
:oops:
Andrew, I don't know why I thought this post was started by SabrinaR, I must have just read her other post:old:. I was a bit surprised that she had not guessed the species though since they are found near where she lives. I did not mixup the genders, just the posters :roll:

They are cuties and I usually have one in the house (but don't at the moment, Sleazy being the last to inhabit my merc tank). Like most anything, your first always has a special place in your heart and I started with a merc, Trapper, that was thought to be an O. briareus. However, they are more nocturnal than the O.briareus and it is rare to find one with a temperment that will allow it to be human friendly (Sisturus, Trappers offspring was one of these special ones and would come out like clock work to be fed and play). Many people never see theirs once they are placed in a tank. If you DO find yourself back in the LFS and it calls your name again, see if they also have a piece of giant barnacle with a shell small enough for it now and a few other larger ones to allow for growth. Placing the barnacle about 2" (5 cm) off the substrate seems to be about right for an attactive den (the only octos I have kept that would den were there was only one opening). If it will den where you can see it, it may not be seen out but will take food and be visible (Sleazy was like this and would play with my finger a bit but never left her den that I saw). Mercs are also the easiest (but not easy) to raise from hatchling, can live in small groups in a tank (assuming having grown up together or at least start out about the same size) and will mate in an aquarium.

Upvote 0
Don't worry about it.

While I certainly could just take live rock from other tanks and have a 15 gallon setup in a day or 2, I will NOT be buying him. I have too many tanks as it is. Actually could put him in my 15 gallon mangrove tank it's mostly covered and dark for that matter but I think I'll pass.

The nautilus' were really cool. I think one day I will probably keep one. I have seen them at a reef shop before but not for a long time.

Upvote 0
skywindsurfer;171893 said:
Do your research first. There are alot of special needs for these animals. How much were they selling them for?

I'm aware of their needs, at least what limited information is available online. I'm not saying I'm buying one of those 2, but I will get one before I die which hopefully won't be for a while.

They were $150 each I think.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back