• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

OCTOPUS!!!!!! help!!!!!

Jean would be the best one to reply to this, but in the meantime - you might try a piece of fresh or thawed frozen shrimp. It must be hard for your octi to catch anything with so few arms.

Nancy

he is not eating!!

Please help he isnt eating my brother droped the shrimp on it but it didnt move its just lying on its side. It is still breathing but he just isnt moving or eating!!!! HELP!!!! :shock:

I'm sorry guys but that's not good. He may just be too far gone. You could try Nancy's suggestion, or even put the food directly under him. They do rely heavily on their arms to catch and manipulate food, plus they have "taste buds" in the suckers so he may not be recognising the food as food.

I guess at this point you need to make up your minds as to how long you're going to perservere and how much the octopus is suffering. the description in Somo's last post sound like the point where we euthanise. I'm really sorry to hear this.

jean

???????

when you say that do u want up to just put the shrimp directly under it for a while or wait to see if he eats it in a sec? thats what my bro did and he didnt move, he didnt even try to get it....

Very sad. He had a hard life. Sorry... :angelpus:

If you plan to get another octopus, please wait until you can set up a real aquarium with a cover that you can seal to prevent escape. Also, protect all dangerous places like intakes to pumps. Then you'll have a better octo experience.

We have a lot of good information on our Ceph Care page (just click on Ceph Care above).

Nancy

:sad: Bummer. So sorry to hear. I too recommend you set up a decent octo haven for the next time. They are deffinately worth the effort.

Carol

Thank you all for the support and well yes we are taking this slow.I have a question the pump that we were using while it was in there do we have to sterilyze it w/ bleah too?

Fraid so.....but it's worth it to get rid of this disease.........we had to sterilize a 3600L tank, MILES of plumbing, re plumb what we could reach, rebuild the rockwork, and throw out $100's of nets etc and then remake all of those!!!

J

do octos need pumps, or does it just harm them? :confused:
by the way im soo sorry :sad: , this makes me more alert as 2 wut i should watch out for, when i get my first octo :bluering:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back