• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

octopus help please

what would be the reccommended Octopus bimaculatus
tank size. i really want an octopus and i studied a lot and will take full reponsibility for it.

Well 50 gallons would be the minimum. They have not been in the pet trade for a while but some one on this site said they found a place that has tank raised babies. You could think about tropical tank octos that are the same size and people sell them also.

A good species would be hummelinki, aculeatus, and bimaculoides would be all good octos. Note the bimaculoides is cold water the other two arent. All them would be perfect for 50 gallon but if you could squezz them in a 40 gallon.

They're all "good" in different ways. Look at the journals and see which one appeals to you, read the journal, and any other journals on the species, than if you are left with any other questions that cannot be found in the Articles section (navigation bar [top]) or on the forum, than ask. There is no definite answer to your question, all cephalopods are good. :wink:
And as far as a bimac of either species, I don't think any have been seen for sale much unless you live in CA. The main way now I think is people catching them as of now. If it is for an educational purpose than the NRCC would be glad to give you some tank raised bimacs.

I have been working on adding links to Nancy's "Lists of our Octopuses". At the moment, the two lists (2008 and 2009) have not been stuck to the top of the Journals and Photos forum but are near the top. These lists will show the species (some a good guess only) and contains a direct link to the journal for the animal.

To find your way, click on the large rectangle labled FORUMS at the top of the page and then click on the forum marked Journals and Photos. You will see a long list of histories of the animals members have kept in addition to the post with the links. Get a cup of coffee or soda and enjoy your visit. :coffee:

Terrific octopuses and arguably (by some keepers of other cephs only) the most attractive and graceful of the aquarium octos. Tank size is the biggest (as in must be larger) consideration but they seem to survive well and adjust to human times. They are a crepcecular animal (early morning and early evening hunters) but all have adjusted to being seen while keepers are present after roughly a month (depending upon age, younger octos seem to remain shyer longer than adults). Serious physical considerations are needed to be sure they stay in the tank as they grow.

Now that we have had multiple experiences with briareus, there seems to be agreement that a 75 is the minium and 125 closer to optimal. My tank is a bit unusual and gives more swimming room as well as height for a 65 and SueNami was on the small side for an adult. Hopefully Animal Mother and CaptFish will give their thoughts on this as well. I think we all agree that a 55 is too small and that the tank need to provide in length and height for an animal with a 2' arm length (4' tip to tip).

cephlapodlover;143663 said:
thank you now what size tank for the briareus? thank u guys for your help!

BRIAREUS RULE!!
rock.gif

I agree with D, the 75 gal min. and 125 gal optimal tank size.

my tank is 125, 5' long x 2'tall X 1.5' wide its enough for her to spread out and she can free swim when she wants to

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back