• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus has arrived...!

From Tom's caribbean, I finally got the octopus I ordered. It came today 3 hours earlier than expected. When I opened the box, the octopus didn't seem stressed or uncomfortable at all. Right now, its in my tank acclimating and has been for the past 2 hours. Im trying to keep it safe. It doesn't seem shy from what I see and seems more curious and very active. It's coloration doesn't show signs of anger or stress either...typically light blue w/ brown spots on the eyes which Braireus has. Once I release it completely, i'll keep updates and definately take pictures. It's about 7 inches long w/ arms and very beautiful. It looks female, but its missing 1 arm and 2 other arms are slightly shorter. It also came with a Chip-Dip top, lol.

Ya, I should get pics posted by this weekend or next weekend b/c I don't own a scanner yet, but my friend does in Philadelphia. I just released it in the tank and it of course is now hiding. I put in 2 small crabs, about half an inch long each and they keep going towards the octopus, but the octopus just pushes it away. Hopefully they get eaten in at least a few days.

thosewrights;77411 said:
congrats on your octo! What did you name her?

Monty im not new here, lol unless you were talking to something else. I haven't thought of a name yet, but I was originally planning to just wait until the octopus becomes a little more social and see how its personality is before giving it a name. Its probably going to be a roman mythological name because all the pets my family has owned including mine was always named something mythology related, lol. The name has to match it's personality as well as appearance for me. That would work.

Just a quick question for confirmation incase. Should I drop live food in on today later or should I wait 2 or 3 days to keep it settled? I put in 2 small crabs, but they just keep crawling on the octopus and bothering it, so I took them out and want to know when its ok to start feeding it. Currently, its not accepting any crabs. Should I try a different food?

Armstrong;77412 said:
Monty im not new here, lol unless you were talking to something else. I haven't thought of a name yet, but I was originally planning to just wait until the octopus becomes a little more social and see how its personality is before giving it a name. Its probably going to be a roman mythological name because all the pets my family has owned including mine was always named something mythology related, lol. The name has to match it's personality as well as appearance for me. That would work.

I meant "welcome to the new octopus" not "welcome to Armstrong," sorry if it was unclear...

Congrats on your new buddy! Are the crabs too large for him? Bothers me they are crawling on him. I started mine on the small hermit crabs. I would remove them cause my thought is maybe they are too large for him. And I see that you did. I put 5 hermit crabs in on the day Eureka arrived, and he's been averaging 5 every 4 days or so. I'm expecting an appearance as I know the last of them disapeared yesterday.

Carol

corw314;77421 said:
Congrats on your new buddy! Are the crabs too large for him? Bothers me they are crawling on him. I started mine on the small hermit crabs. I would remove them cause my thought is maybe they are too large for him. And I see that you did. I put 5 hermit crabs in on the day Eureka arrived, and he's been averaging 5 every 4 days or so. I'm expecting an appearance as I know the last of them disapeared yesterday.

Carol

ThanX, and the crabs definately aren't too large. The octopus is about 7-8 inches in total stetched out and the crabs are literally...from my specific measurement, only 2 cm. Their not even an inch, but their common shore crabs that happened to be caught in my beach bucket a few days ago. I put them in the tank...about 3 of them, and their usually always by the octopus and touching it. The octopus doesn't do anything, just pushes them out of the way. I'll try again tomarrow and see my water parameters just incase. I just hope it starts eating soon.

cuttlegirl;77438 said:
Your octopus is probably just getting used to its new home. Try shrimp if the crabs don't entice your octo, maybe he is just picky...

Good news. I put in 1 crab a few minutes ago just to make sure if it would eat it still and after the crab bothered it for 5 minutes, it finally grabbed it and ate it. Im so releaved and not worried anymore. Im going to get more food tomarrow and try shrimp. I have no idea what took it so long to eat. Mabye it fed on something on its way here.

The first few days are usually the hardest. Acclimating and shocked octos can act very differently. Some eat instantly and some take days. Some will constantly hide and others will be out playing right away.

It finnally eating is a good sign.

In regards to your other post, I would still try to get nitrites down to 0. Lower levels may not be immedietly deadly, but can still be harmful. It would be a good idea to test the water often during this introduction period to see how the tank handles the new bioload.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back