Octopus genome status?

kmkocot

Hatchling
Registered
Does anyone know what is going on with the (draft) octopus genome? I know it is being worked on and heard from a new guy at JGI that it would be out by the end of the year. If anyone knows more (or is involved with the project!) I'd love to hear it.

-K

The last I heard (about a month ago) the transcriptome was complete for Octopus, and two species of Loligo, Rossia and Nautilus were in the pipeline to be completed this fall. This was being done by a guy in Florida with the eventual aim (I believe) of developing genetic tools for neurobiology, rather than systematics research, where there are small sequences here and there. I can give you his email address if you have a particular interest in his work.

Is this the same work referred to in this intriguing note on Sydney Brenner sequencing the octopus genome at the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology? I assume this is the same JGI reference...

We have also undertaken a study of the octopus genome. This organism has a large brain built on different principles from the vertebrate plan. This work has been carried out in a research collaboration with JGI(Joint Genome Institute), DOE, USA.

http://www.oist.jp/faculty_brenner.html

This was discussed a bit over here: cephalopod genomic model

robyn;125065 said:
Nope, different guy. Not sure about posting his name since I don't know him very well. I can pm you if you're interested.

I'm very curious, but don't really have enough professional standing to bug this person... could you email him and see if he minds stopping by and posting any info that he's comfortable with for us curious folks in the TONMO peanut gallery (and the TONMO resident experts, too, of course!)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back