Octopus fishing ban begins - FIS

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff
Interesting ban on octopuses. I am not at all clear how the suggestion of size as an additional criteria would help any though and the fact that it is mentioned makes one wonder if the month long hiatus was established to work with the fishing industry or had a scientific basis for brooding times.

Agreed- rather than size, aim to protect them during the egg-laying season (if there is one). Because realistically, if you haul in an octopus that's not regulation size and you throw it back overboard, it will get eaten on the way down to the bottom.

Mucktopus,
I was thinking more that size is not relevant to reproduction. Since they reproduce only once, if a female is removed she will not produce offspring and size does not matter. If she has produced offspring, she will either be eaten in situ or not be in a condition to serve as human food. There might be a point on size for the males but they reach reproductive ability fairly young. Thinking about it, might even be better to take the smaller animals rather than the larger ones. The concern I have is that the hiatus is likely arbitrary rather than studied and would not produce the desired population sustainability. Not only is that bad for the population but a result of no effect would "prove" limiting the season does not work.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back