octopus enthusiast in San Diego

MLilly

Hatchling
Supporter
Hi Tonmo folk,

My name is Megan Lilly and I work as a marine biologist for the City of San Diego's Ocean Monitoring Program. While my direct duties rarely involve cephs, I do go out to sea a few times a year during our community trawl sampling and I spend the day doing my best to "save the cephs" after identifying and enumerating them of course. :smile:
Prior to working at the City of San Diego (many, many years ago....) I was lucky enough to spend over a year working with Dr. Eric Hochberg at the Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History. I was a curatorial assistant but Eric patiently put up with my endless hours of questions about octopus. :smile:
I may have met some of you at WSM or AMS (formerly AMU) conferences in years past, but unfortunately I don't get to conferences as often I used to.
The most fascinating octopus news from my perspective is that we see a "rare" (in our locale anyway) species of Octopus - Octopus veligero, in our sampling program during El Nino periods. I published a short paper on this phenomenon, but it is more of a musing as I don't have a large enough sample size to draw any real conclusions about their intermittent presence and absence in the Southern CA Bight. I'm guessing/hoping we will be seeing them in next year's trawls.
Anyway, thanks for letting me ramble on and if anyone is interested in octopus data from this area, just let me know.
Megan

:cuttlehi: @MLilly!
We have a thread dedicated to any kind (including YouTube videos and non-reviewed papers - musing are great) of published cephalopod work by members. There are no real rules on what you put in your post but I do need you to at least put your TONMO name and your publishing name (TONMO NAME - Publishing Name) at the start of the post. I try to keep the articles newest to oldest and include a year but it is not a formal (although you can use that format) reference list. If there is an on-line presence for your work, please include a link, pdf's can be downloaded.

If you decide to include yourself on the page let me know (@DWhatley will email me but I will likely see any post letting me know) and I will add you to my Google Scholar scan for automatic location of new material (it does have to be ceph related though).

We have several members that either work for or participate in some of the MBARI research cruises but I don't recall any recent trips made down your way. Hopefully, @robyn, @mucktopus, @Bret Grasse MBA, @Tintenfisch will see your intro and note a physical acquaintance. If not, we are hoping to host our 7th TONMOcon at MBARI in 2017 (this years' biannual event was in Sarasota earlier in the month)

I think I'm replying in the proper place.... please bear with me while I figure out how to use the Tonmo site. :smile:
Thanks for the info regarding publications. I will see what I can dig up today with regards to my Octopus veligero paper.
Megan

:cuttlehi: @MLilly!
We have a thread dedicated to any kind (including YouTube videos and non-reviewed papers - musing are great) of published cephalopod work by members. There are no real rules on what you put in your post but I do need you to at least put your TONMO name and your publishing name (TONMO NAME - Publishing Name) at the start of the post. I try to keep the articles newest to oldest and include a year but it is not a formal (although you can use that format) reference list. If there is an on-line presence for your work, please include a link, pdf's can be downloaded.

If you decide to include yourself on the page let me know (@DWhatley will email me but I will likely see any post letting me know) and I will add you to my Google Scholar scan for automatic location of new material (it does have to be ceph related though).

We have several members that either work for or participate in some of the MBARI research cruises but I don't recall any recent trips made down your way. Hopefully, @robyn, @mucktopus, @Bret Grasse MBA, @Tintenfisch will see your intro and note a physical acquaintance. If not, we are hoping to host our 7th TONMOcon at MBARI in 2017 (this years' biannual event was in Sarasota earlier in the month)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back