Octopus eggs

butler

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
My octopus laid eggs in her den about two weeks ago, appear to be the large variety, and she’s been out of the ocean in my tank about 4 weeks before laying eggs. 2 questions: What are chances eggs are fertile? How long before should I expect to see development (eyes?)? Any advice appreciated!

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
The chances of the eggs being fertile are very high since females store sperm after mating (for as long as 4 months).

How long until you see black eye spots, and how long until the eggs hatch are dependent upon the species and the water temperature (the warmer the water the faster the development - to a point, of course). For the eggs of Kooah, O. briareus, it was right at a month after egg laying when I could definitely see eye spots. With the O. mercatoris I have kept, I never saw the eggs but the whole brooding process took about 1 month.

butler

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
The chances of the eggs being fertile are very high since females store sperm after mating (for as long as 4 months).

How long until you see black eye spots, and how long until the eggs hatch are dependent upon the species and the water temperature (the warmer the water the faster the development - to a point, of course). For the eggs of Kooah, O. briareus, it was right at a month after egg laying when I could definitely see eye spots. With the O. mercatoris I have kept, I never saw the eggs but the whole brooding process took about 1 month.
Thank you! That is encouraging. We are excited to hopefully see some hatchlings in the near future! Then we will have to figure out what to do next!

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
The two linked journals might help you with what to expect. Losses will be heavy during the first week. Finding appropriately sized, food with the needed nutrition and getting them to eat is the hardest. As a rule of thumb (based on so few successes that there is absolutely no statistical relevance) would be to hope for 5 survivors after a month. Animals kept in their brood tanks seem to have fared best. If/when the hatchlings are isolated, use the water from the brood tank during water changes vs new saltwater.

GOOD LUCK and PLEASE JOURNAL!!!

butler

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
The two linked journals might help you with what to expect. Losses will be heavy during the first week. Finding appropriately sized, food with the needed nutrition and getting them to eat is the hardest. As a rule of thumb (based on so few successes that there is absolutely no statistical relevance) would be to hope for 5 survivors after a month. Animals kept in their brood tanks seem to have fared best. If/when the hatchlings are isolated, use the water from the brood tank during water changes vs new saltwater.

GOOD LUCK and PLEASE JOURNAL!!!
Thank you!!

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
I see what I think are 3 different eye spots. If you looked backwards on my link you will see that I "thought" I saw an eye spot or two a couple of days before I was sure of what I was seeing.

I believe your octopus is an O. briareus, the same as Kooah in the above link so that journal should be close to following what you will be able to observe.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Great video! Now watch for the hatchlings to flip in the eggs. They do this twice. When they rotate back to this position, hatching time is near.

Don't be too excited about her eating. Sadly, death is programmed into the species but she may live a week or two longer if she continues to eat.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sumit

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan