Octopus eat itself when stressed?

Hi. Someone shared this image with me. I was just curious about whether this is true?

Attachments

• conv_305545.jpg
    conv_305545.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 2,629
Male octopus often eat their own arms during senescence. As D said, bacteria can cause it. I would guess that too much "stress" could also cause the bacteria problem. Regarding the senescence, I believe that could also be a problem in their central nervous system resulting from the aging process...

Greg

I'm still leaning to some of the instances being a prion, it's simply too infectious to be much else, I do agree stress is a contributor, but not the whole story. We've had it a couple of times and neither stress nor senescence seemed to play a part, nor could any bugs be cultured. THe cleaning of the system is extremely prolonged and shortcuts led to further cases, once sterilisation of EVERYTHING took place (over more than a month!) we didn't see it again. A complex issue methinks!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back