• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Octopus eat itself when stressed?

gjbarord

Sepia elegans
Staff member
Male octopus often eat their own arms during senescence. As D said, bacteria can cause it. I would guess that too much "stress" could also cause the bacteria problem. Regarding the senescence, I believe that could also be a problem in their central nervous system resulting from the aging process...

Greg

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
I'm still leaning to some of the instances being a prion, it's simply too infectious to be much else, I do agree stress is a contributor, but not the whole story. We've had it a couple of times and neither stress nor senescence seemed to play a part, nor could any bugs be cultured. THe cleaning of the system is extremely prolonged and shortcuts led to further cases, once sterilisation of EVERYTHING took place (over more than a month!) we didn't see it again. A complex issue methinks!

Members online

No members online now.