• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus difficulty

Dwight

Blue Ring
Registered
are octopuses really as difficult as people say they are. I'm talking about water parameters, feeding, ect. It is my first time having one and I've been planning it for about 8 months and I don't want to screw it up. Thanks.

@Dwight, you question is a bit too open ended to answer without knowing something about your saltwater experience. Keeping an octopus is different from keeping corals, marine fish or even other saltwater inverts but experience keeping a saltwater tank goes a long way toward successful octo care. Freshwater experience is less helpful. All marine aquariums need more care than freshwater environments and tanks with heavy waste producers require additional care to stay on top of the water parameters.

Hardware needs to be octo-proofed so that curious arms don't find their way into impellers. A sump goes a long way in separating the octopus from the filtration hardware. A secure top is essential but it must allow for oxygen exchange. Inking is a concern not common to other animals and a skimmer is a major benefit for rapid ink removal. Heavy inking is rare but can kill an animal if left unresolved and requires a major immediate water change so keeping a large lidded bucket and supply of saltwater on hand is highly recommended.

Feeding frequency varies between, not only species but age and individuals so there is a learning curve with each animal and it will change over the octo's life time. The quality of the food is important and must include crustaceans as a major part of its diet (and is another part of the cleaning requirement). At least some live food is recommended but it is not an absolute requirement.

If you have specific concerns or questions, we are here to help.

Hi, I got my octopus From an exotic pet store in Minnesota, they only had one and I was fortunate enough together it. Octopus are very hard to find locally if not impossible, I wish you luck in finding one.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back