Octopus difficulty

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by Dwight, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Dwight

Dwight Blue Ring Registered

are octopuses really as difficult as people say they are. I'm talking about water parameters, feeding, ect. It is my first time having one and I've been planning it for about 8 months and I don't want to screw it up. Thanks.

2. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

@Dwight, you question is a bit too open ended to answer without knowing something about your saltwater experience. Keeping an octopus is different from keeping corals, marine fish or even other saltwater inverts but experience keeping a saltwater tank goes a long way toward successful octo care. Freshwater experience is less helpful. All marine aquariums need more care than freshwater environments and tanks with heavy waste producers require additional care to stay on top of the water parameters.

Hardware needs to be octo-proofed so that curious arms don't find their way into impellers. A sump goes a long way in separating the octopus from the filtration hardware. A secure top is essential but it must allow for oxygen exchange. Inking is a concern not common to other animals and a skimmer is a major benefit for rapid ink removal. Heavy inking is rare but can kill an animal if left unresolved and requires a major immediate water change so keeping a large lidded bucket and supply of saltwater on hand is highly recommended.

Feeding frequency varies between, not only species but age and individuals so there is a learning curve with each animal and it will change over the octo's life time. The quality of the food is important and must include crustaceans as a major part of its diet (and is another part of the cleaning requirement). At least some live food is recommended but it is not an absolute requirement.

If you have specific concerns or questions, we are here to help.

3. Dwight

Thank you for your feedback, I'll take these things into consideration.

4. catherineLA

catherineLA Cuttlefish Registered

Hi where did you get your octopus?? I'm trying to find one!

5. Dwight

Hi, I got my octopus From an exotic pet store in Minnesota, they only had one and I was fortunate enough together it. Octopus are very hard to find locally if not impossible, I wish you luck in finding one.

6. catherineLA

catherineLA Cuttlefish Registered

ohhh thank you!