Octopus collection

FishRex

Hatchling
Registered
Hi! I'm new to Tomno and have always wanted a pet octopus.
I live in Southern California about 30 minutes from the beaches. Wondering if anybody can give me tips to possibly find a species of octopus usually in tide pools and such. Or if anybody has a source of young O. vulgaris, I would be interested. Heck maybe even one day I might collect a GPO near some coral reef or something where I live. Beaches are definitely in the range of their habitat.

Welcome to TONMO! :welcome:

Keeping squid is generally not advised due to the difficulty and many failed attempts. I suppose an inflatable pool would avoid the issues encountered with keeping in tanks, but I think a search for "squid cam" on our site might yield some interesting reading (Search is found in the upper right of the site).

Keep us posted on your tide pool adventures - pics would be great! Do keep an eye on our "Sources for Food and Cephalopods forum, also.

Thank You! I wonder if it actually is legal in the first place for fisherman to take octopus from tide pools or coral reefs live in California. Catching a O. vulgaris in a tide pool seems easy I suppose. But wouldn't a person need a 2000$ permit to collect live aquaria as personal pets? Only way people can catch octopus legally is by hand or hook and line.

I believe (unless this has changed) that octopus may be caught for consumption with a simple fishing license. Selling the live animals is what the law is prohibiting (ie not even with a commercial permit). Here is some old discussion and link to the laws at the time. Note the link is 10 years old and the laws may have changed but it might give you an idea where to look.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back