• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

octopus chierchiae

jakester

O. vulgaris
Registered
Has anyone had any experience with this species? I heard it is relatively easy to care for and breed. I am interested in any information people have to offer. Thanks.

Like I said in the article, sources for these guys are few and far between. I also implore anyone who finds any to try to get them to me or Roy for study because we just don't know so much.

Thanks!

I had a few O. chierchiae in the 70's and 80's when I was working in Panama. By the mid-80's the disappeared and no one could find one even though we search intensely from Baja to Panama. I honestly thought they were gone. Then a couple of years ago a female and and couple of males turned up in the trade. Rich and I managed to get several hatchlings from the female, photograph and video mating behavior and raise a few individuals to sexual maturity. Unfortunately, probably due to inbreeding, we failed at getting a second generation.

One of the disappointments of that experience was that we learned accidentally that another aquarist had a female that hatched some eggs. We asked repeatedly for a few of the juveniles to increase the genetic diversity of our stock and hopefully successfully breed them. It never happened and eventually the female and her offspring were lost. What was probably our best chance to learn enough about this species to get it into culture was lost.

Roy

Guys, a whole lot of info about them is in the linked article.

jakester;163185 said:
I think it is a large egg species.If I do get a few I will try to breed them if I got a male and female.

Again, I beg you (and anyone else) if you see any of these animals please get them to Roy (or me but that's really the same thing as far as these octos are concerned) so we can do the work to study them and get them into culture. It would benefit everyone, research and hobby alike, to get these guys into culture by people who have had success and experience in breeding them and other cephs, and the resources of institutions behind them to do it right. If they do come in, we have a golden opportunity to really benefit the greater good.

If anyone does get some, please shoot me or Roy a PM and we'll entice you further!

No enticing needed Thales. I agree with you and Roy. I've never seen them, but I'd rather see the two of you getting them cultured and studied. Like I said though, I've never seen them, but if I ever do then I'll do my best to aquire it for you. (Wouldn't keep my hopes up on this though as The most common I come across is O. Briareus and O. Hummelinki)

I found a website that might have some o.cherichiae. It is called ocean pro. The pictures they have of one is a wonderpus but the other ones could be o.cherichiae.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back