Octopus capture and trade banned - FIS

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff
It will be interesting to see how Mexico and their new partner (Argentina I think but I may have that wrong. Correction: Honduras) do with their in situ octopus gardens (O. Maya is the species in Mexico, not sure on the species for the country that is next to attempt the idea). The fish farming seemed like a good idea but has ended up as a major pollution issue so it will be interesting to see how this attempt works out.

Mexico is working with O. maya which is large egged. Last I read they were working with people in Honduras with the same species, but if I missed something about Argentina being included as well send it my way. Aquaculture does not necessarily produce a lot of pollution, that depends on the husbandry practices of the individual facility. There are ways of reducing organic waste output such as multitrophic aquaculture. A lot of the pollution issues with fish farming in South America are due to excessive use of antibiotics and antifungals which aren't necessary if vaccinations and better husbandry practices would be adopted.

erin

Thanks for the correction esquid. Not having correctly remembered the second country to invest in the idea, I was wondering about the species (always looking for large egg viables for the aquarium :biggrin2:). In my search to confirm I came across and FIS post briefly mentioning the shared technology and a blog post about how the original facility started with a little on the feeding technique.

The rabbit trails exposed a lot of new go back and read information about raising large egg hatchlings. I will remember to revisit Googling culturing maya when I have time to read.

O. maya is comperable in size to O. vulgaris: both 1m arms maya get to 4 kg market size and vulgaris is about 2.5-3 kg market size. gotta run, will post more later.

erin

I had asked Roy about the size of O. maya when I first read about the aquaculturing attempts and discounted them as being too big to be practical. Both Roy and I ordered "O. Maya" from different sources (Roy got both East and West Coast offerings) at one time but they all turned out to be O. hummelincki and primarily about to brood female (Roy commented that there seemed to be a glut of them available at the time).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back