• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

There was a Korean-run sushi place in Los Angeles' Koreatown (Da K.T., yo!) where the advertised house specialty was live octopus in hot pepper sauce. I never went there, obviously, but some folks I know went earlier this year, so it's still open. I would have probably ended up recreating the scene in E.T. where Elliot frees all the frogs in his biology class - "Head for the ocean!" - and then been hacked up by some very angry sushi chefs. Those knives are really sharp, too.

tonmo said:
We are exploring a means to get some eggs into the hands on my shrimp provider, such that we can sell octos from ShrimpStuff.com. Stay tuned!
Just want to follow up on this item. Unfortunately we're not able to make this arrangement work out. Let's keep the search here going -- perhaps we can find a sponsor that TONMO.com can work with to be our "certified" octo provider for hobbyists. Appreciate everyone's diligence on this, especially Nancy.

Being relatively new to Tonmo and not keeping any cephs myself, what are the rules with keeping octos? Do you need a licence? Are all the octos for sale taken from the wild or do you have registered breeders that sell them? Over in Australia, with reptiles for example, we need a licence and can only buy from other licenced people. None can be taken from the wild, only those bred in captivity can be sold. Can someone please fill me in?

mosogama said:
Being relatively new to Tonmo and not keeping any cephs myself, what are the rules with keeping octos? Do you need a licence? Are all the octos for sale taken from the wild or do you have registered breeders that sell them? Over in Australia, with reptiles for example, we need a licence and can only buy from other licenced people. None can be taken from the wild, only those bred in captivity can be sold. Can someone please fill me in?

No, you shouldn't need a license to keep a ceph and have never heard of needing one thankfully. A lot of peeps I know always suspected it was illegal to keep octopuses, but it's not.

How their sold varies. Many places sell them wild or offer services to catch them wild and ship to customers. A lot of places though offer breeded octo's selling them at a young age so the life span can last. In general though...iv seen most octo's sold online to be bred and shipped but there are some places that sell them wild or catch them wild for you.

The_Tai_Pan said:
Anyone know about www.liveaquaria.com? I've heard some mixed reviews about their service and reliability. Has anyone used them before for octos?

They seem fine in general. Reviews on that website for the most part are good depending on species/animals ordered. I called them up, and so far...they don't have any octopuses in stock yet.

FWIW, the Octopus Garden in Berkeley (510) 849-4450, has a baby octo for sale as well as the Octopus Aculeatus that I posted about earlier. (That's the one that's selling for $74, and is rather large already) The baby octo is about 2 inches in length and the owner was getting it identified by the local cephalopod expert the evening I was there. So far, I've been unable to get back there to see if the baby has been identified yet, but W. is heading there this evening to see it. Will update if we get an ID on it.

Berkeley, CA. Call the number above. They don't have a website, but I know the owner does do mail order.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back