• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

Vulgaris are hard to come by and are not usually identified by species from the seller when they do show up. @forever27 noticed that Tom's Caribbean (now under new ownership) recently had octopuses listed and believed the one he had was vulgaris but I don't see an octopus listed in the currently in stock list. It never hurts to call or email though.

Hello everyone!
it has been for to long since i logged in here on tonmo.. I had a difficult time in life my mother passed away in a car crash so my dream of owning a octopus was put on "ice" sort of saying. But now i am back and happy and life goes on, and finnaly after many years of reading planing and watching i decided to get my very own octopus. I want to give a special thanks to Nancy king and colin for writting the book I been reading and learning from.

First i thought it would been very difficult of getting a octopus, I live in sweden and many of the LFS here do not get them. But when i called a store in stockholm they said yes! so I will order from them and they said that they could get them from Africa. well Africa is big so i dont really know what kind I will get but has anyone here any idea of what kind of octos that live near Africa?

best regards David.

Hi David,
Welcome back to the site! I'm so glad you're finding our book helpful, it makes all the time we spent on it worthwhile.
If you can, try to have the LFS in Stockholm narrow down the location in Africa that the octopuses come from. Also, if they have received octopuses from this source before, what were they like - how big, etc.
You're right, Africa is a big continent, and species will vary depending on where they are found.

Nancy

Hi all,

I'm opening this thread a place to record where octopuses are currently offered for sale. I'll update this thread and delete out of date posts, so we keep the information current.

Please post only sites and LFSs that you've verified - in other words, you need to have phoned or visited to make sure any offering on the web is for real. No advertising directly from dealers allowed on this thread.

Nancy
Hi I'm looking for an octopus to buy, bigger than 5 inches. I would really appreciate if you could advise a place to buy it, thanks

@catherineLA , It takes at least 3 months to prepare a tank for an octopus for an experienced marine hobbyist. We recommend adding as much as 9 more months for people new to saltwater. From your posts, it appears that you have not yet set up a tank so your target is unrealistic since the environment cannot mature enough to support the animal even if you had a local coach to help you through the rest of the learning curve.

@catherineLA , It takes at least 3 months to prepare a tank for an octopus for an experienced marine hobbyist. We recommend adding as much as 9 more months for people new to saltwater. From your posts, it appears that you have not yet set up a tank so your target is unrealistic since the environment cannot mature enough to support the animal even if you had a local coach to help you through the rest of the learning curve.
Thank you for the answer! I appreciate! I do have a person who can help me to care about an octopus, I just don't know where to get one. Any suggestions?

So do you - or the person who will help you - have a mature tank ready for an octopus, or are you talking about the future?

Nancy
Hi Nancy, thank you for the answer! Nothing is ready yet. I want to find an octopus, then prepare everything for him (cause tank will depend on it's size, breed and etc.) and then once everything is ready to get an octopus. I'm searching for a place or person who can sell one, do you sell or know anyone who does?

This appears a little backwards. First you need to work on the tank and acquire salt water skills. There are many decisions to be made, such as the size of the tank. Then you can start looking for an octopus. It's good to look about and learn where you might be able to get one, when the time comes. But if you fond an octopus today, the local fish store would not hold it for you for months. Also, octopuses have short lifespans. So think about the order in which you have to proceed.

Nancy

This appears a little backwards. First you need to work on the tank and acquire salt water skills. There are many decisions to be made, such as the size of the tank. Then you can start looking for an octopus. It's good to look about and learn where you might be able to get one, when the time comes. But if you fond an octopus today, the local fish store would not hold it for you for months. Also, octopuses have short lifespans. So think about the order in which you have to proceed.

Nancy
Okay, thank you for an advice

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back