• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

Always a concern if a merc is out in bright light and the price is way out of line. When the FL collectors have them available they run about $30 +SH

dwhatley;139959 said:
Always a concern if a merc is out in bright light and the price is way out of line. When the FL collectors have them available they run about $30 +SH

Out in bright light?

Octopus are other cephs are very difficult to obtain in Canada.

corpusse;140241 said:
Out in bright light?

Mercatoris is a nocturnal species. I have only seen them out in the kind of lighting in the video when they are in their last week of life (my guess is that their eyes are no longer as light sensitive).

In stock Atlantic Pygmy Octopus:

pygmyoctopus.jpg

http://reefscavengers.com/

:boat::boat::boat::boat::boat::boat:

I got mine at Reefscavengers.com. It's listed under Two-spot octopus and the correct name is Octopus Hummelincki. If they do get them in they get them sunday so check then.

Does anyone know for sure what saltwaterfish.com is selling? I sent them an email asking what species they had and recieved this response-

We have a caribbean octopus. We are unsure of the exact species. It is not a Hummelincki.
Thanks for your e-mail,
Kim @ Customer Support

Could it be briereus?

The three most commonly caught in the Caribbean are briareus, mercatoris and hummelincki. A photo or arm length, mantle length and mantle diameter would likely determine which of the three it would be (so bug them some more, customer service may need coaxing but it still exists if you are persistent in many cases). There are Vulgaris but we haven't seen them much. When we do they are usually from the more northern areas or the Atlantic.

Will do.

I have been reading the journals and it seems like everyone has been getting Hummelincki from them even though customer service is saying they are not.

Be a little cautious and please start a journal if you purchase from them, even if the octo does not live long. They have been good with their warranty but the death rate appears high and tracking will help both SWF and our keepers identify a potential problem (they have been open to discussion in the past and appear to have true interest in their livestock). The problem may be more that they offer octopuses more often than others but without being able to track individuals the situation is unclear.

If you find their answers to your email worth pursuing, I'd strongly recommend phoning them and discussing the octopus. Ask how large it is, where it was caught, how long they've had it, what it's eaten, etc. Also, any shipping arrangements would be better made by phone.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back