• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

Glass Dragon. I think that Tom is usually pretty consistent with not catching adult briareus. The picture shown I think is just the picture for the item in general not "what you see is what you get".
Here is D's journal on the one she received from tom.
Here is AM's journal on the briareus he recieved from tom.
Sorry if I am telling you information that you already know.:oops:

Tom collects all sizes. You can request a small one (or email and ask what is currently in stock) and he will keep you on a notify list for 30 days. IMO He is pretty good a mantle size judgement and anything an inch and a half or less seems to be a good size.

One warning about the WC Caribbean species (this is not specific nor exclusive of Tom or the briareus), the octos will likely have arms missing that were lost before capture. This is normal and not a problem but upsetting to some people that don't expect to received a damaged animal.

I was thinking that the picture might be a general photo too Tommy, I just can't tell (or remember) who lists things how these days. :oops: I hadn't looked at Tom's site in a while though - it looks really nice and is much more user friendly IMHO.

Dwhatley - thanks for the reminder/info about Tom being flexible. I really was hoping to look into finding a new fellow for the 135gal tank as soon as we get back from this final summer trip.

Lost arms aren't a problem to me (heck, I've got no room to complain - I'm missing a few fingers :sagrin: and mine aren't growing back!) and, in fact, my first octo was missing part of an arm. I guess it was really kinda why I took it in....it seemed like a bit of a kindred spirit. :wink:

They are doing some interesting studies on a letent regeneration gene but it won't help you or Neal I am afraid (research is far too new). Kat posted an article awhile back but I could not find the thread. I did locate an article similar to her post though. I suspect cancer or diabetes will be the first thing they target with anything they can control.

Tommycs;139407 said:
Just to let everyone know Tom has another briareus in. And his new site makes it very easy to order. I only wish I had a 75g available.

He is not on the list anymore
i just ordered him , and i will get you pic's as soon as he gets here.:smile:
Tom told me that He is a small one. Head about the size of a dime or nickel.
*this is my second octo the first one was Aculeatus that died from age ,
please were can i find info about briareus on the web site , what do they eat ,
how big do they get , etc...
thank you

OH, I am so jealous that you found a tiny one! Please do start a journal just as soon as he arrives.

There are two relatively current journals for briareus, Animal Mother's complete life of Kalypso and mine about SueNami. Both came from Tom and Kalypso was about the size of your new friend when he arrived.

I came to check my e-mail this morning and i got this:

Name: Toms Caribbean Tropicals Inc
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 305-852-7810
Note from Merchant:The octopus got out of his jar then out of the tank and was on the floor. I'm sorry he did not live. I will try to let you know first if I get another. Or you could do a wish list on the web site that I can look at later.

no comments...:shock:

Unfortunately, this is why so many collectors will not sell octopuses. Ken does not like to have them in his system at all and it is rare that one is housed there (occassionally he will offer mercs collected by the crab trappers but he is not comfortable with housing even these). When they get loose in a commercial system, they can cause major problems with the live stock. Lynn (who uses Ken's facilitiy) caught one that would have come my way but he knew I would ask a thousand questions so he waited a day to be able to examine it in preparation for my onslaught. It escaped the container and has never been found. I went through the tanks with him later while we were in the Keys but all we could find were dead crabs and snails.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back