• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

You won't find it for sale that way. Most of the Indonesian octopuses from Live Aquaria (not Diver's Den) are aculeatus (but they have shipped others and don't ID the species). Often animals labeled as "Bali" octopuses (from other vendors and from wholesalers) are aculeatus. About the only vendors that come close are the collectors in the Keys who acquire them from the fishermen and they miss ID on occassion.

Im sorry I dont quite understand, so it wont be a A.aculeatus or will it be? BoxOfWater buys from Live Aquaria? Is it even possible to have bimac shipped to Canada?

Animals available through Live Aquaria under Indonesian octopuses MIGHT be an A. aculeatus (several keepers, including myself have gotten a delightful but very nocturnal animal that is some form of macropus- see Puddles thread) and most often is. Live Aquaria (Drs. Foster and Smith) have a WYSIWYG section and the octopuses found there have not been Indonesian, most appear to be Caribbean. I did not mean to imply a relationship with Live Aquaria and BoxOfWater and edited my original post to try to make what I was trying to say clearer. There are no rules that I know of about shipping to Canada, however, there is additional expense, paperwork and sometimes problems with delays in customs (there are no octopuses currently on the CITIES restriction list).

I've been doing a little research and found that most likely any octopus coming from the indo area will be an adult and only have a few months to live, is that correct?

rkelly47;173336 said:
I've been doing a little research and found that most likely any octopus coming from the indo area will be an adult and only have a few months to live, is that correct?

Unfortunately almost all octopuses that come from live aquaria is an adult and there for short lived (average time frame- 2 to 3 months) but please keep in mind all octopuses are short lived and you will never know how long you will have them for. Live Aquaria is a great company no doubt even if the octopuses they send are short lived. As far as the other company... if they are on your side of the boarder than I would order from them. That way you dont have to worry about the red tape getting it passed customs.

It can be all but impossible getting an ID when ordering an octopus. It is always best to plan on getting what you dont want lol. That way you are prepared for everything. I would recommend a 65 gallon tank (minimum) that way almost all octopuses available for sale will fit your tank except for the very large and commonly available (lately) vulgaris (which needs a 150-250 gallon tank).

Just thought I'd mention that my wife and I are renting an apartment for the weekend in Key Largo from TomsCaribbean.com. He has half dozen or so Vulgaris (I believe) and at least 3 are tending eggs. Obviously the adults with eggs won't last long, but if someone wanted to raise the eggs . . .

Anyway, we just got in this evening so if anyone needs more info, just let me know.

I am not sure if we ever determined if Gulf Specimen Marine Lab will sell to the general public. Here is a short note on prior site investigations and here a note suggesting they will sell to the individual (there is a $70 specimen cost minium). The poster does not explain how they determined the purchaser was not required to be associated with a learning institution and I vaugely remember eventually finding the requirement but cannot confirm the post. Calling them would be recommended before purchase but this may be required anyway because I did not see a way to order on-line.

DWhatley;173572 said:
I am not sure if we ever determined if Gulf Specimen Marine Lab will sell to the general public. Here is a short note on prior site investigations and here a note suggesting they will sell to the individual (there is a $70 specimen cost minium). The poster does not explain how they determined the purchaser was not required to be associated with a learning institution and I vaugely remember eventually finding the requirement but cannot confirm the post. Calling them would be recommended before purchase but this may be required anyway because I did not see a way to order on-line.

I have called them to see how to order and they have a very long waiting list for these octopuses. They will sell to the trade they just havent seen any for a long time. I am on the waiting list and have been for 1 year still havent gotten a call yet.

I tried to order one the other day. When I didnt get the shipping notification I called and they said they didnt have a healthy one available... I dont know whats up here. Once I know whats gonna happen with the school I will order if its still available.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back