• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

if anyone lives in south or northcarolina and doesnt mind a drive...

afishyonados in sumter south carolina is owned by my friend and hes the one that has been ordering me all my octos. he can basically get any species wild caught of course for the most part. he does do special orders but i dont think he will do mail order. if you dont mind the drive i can give you his number and yall can work something out so that hell order one and itll be there when u get there. only catch is that youll probably want to be there when it arrives at the store so that it doesnt have to acclimate 2 times which he propably wouldnt let u do cause he doesnt want to have it die... but pm me if you live anywhere near there and ill give you his number.

I almost got one today. I called my favorite LFS and they said they had what they identyfied as a O'vulgaris. Problem was it hadn't eaten in what they said was 2 weeks. I didn't know if I wanted to chance driving all the way out there, just to find I have purchased a dwarf at the end of it's life, cause when I asked about size they said it was small. :frown:

corw314 said:
I almost got one today. I called my favorite LFS and they said they had what they identyfied as a O'vulgaris. Problem was it hadn't eaten in what they said was 2 weeks. I didn't know if I wanted to chance driving all the way out there, just to find I have purchased a dwarf at the end of it's life, cause when I asked about size they said it was small. :frown:

Oh, which LFS is that? Im still waiting for these peeps at East hanover to get one in already...same for the fish market.

91lxstang said:
that pet place doest have any octos now... i bought the last one :smile:

Lol, I know..but I spoke to the guy that runs the place and orders so I call him every thursday to check up because they order octopus constantly. Getting them in takes a while.

Details on what?

Another list

Some new links:
Tampa bay saltwater-pygmys in the winter,awaiting an email about there other species.
the pet stop-out of stock.
saltwaterfish - periodicly in stock.could be anything
Aquacon-??? could be anything
caribbean creatures
Quality marine-a whole sale only:sad: but cna get bimacs,blue ring wonderpus,and oddly something you dont see often,octopus from south America. also a good sorce of NAUTILUS.
diver Tom-great guy, also awsome shipping. only has octopus in the winter and has had damage do to the hurricans.

cuttlegirl said:
The new octo!!!

Lol...me or her?

Well if you were asking for me...I haven't gotten a new octo yet, but still awaiting Vulgaris. There's a seafood co-op fish market located near me by the shore...and the manager who runs the business is doing me a special favor of giving me any octo thats caught by the fishermen working there. They fish everyday if the weather permits them...and supposadely they get better catches in the winter as opposed to the summer. Right now there pretty random, but in a few days the squid fishermen and the lobster fishermen who have tanks on the boat will prepare to go fishing and will get better chances of catching one because they travel far out.

Octopuses aren't local around the east coast to my suprise...only near Florida. I live in NJ...and it really is unfortunate. All octopuses seen in the fish market everyday aren't fished here, their caught and shipped from Asia.

The pet store in East Hanover NJ...about an hour from me orders them all the time, but rarely get one in. Im more dependant on the saltwater aquarium shop...however, if the fish market gets one by boat, its more natural...organic and safe to say that its native to atlantic waters and will be safe staying in their free saltwater which they will provide for me as a favor too. They have been fishing now on the lookout for octopus going on mabye...2 months now, but I have until the end of June. Then i'll just have to order from TampaBaySaltwater who will custom catch one for you if possible. For octopuses...everything is depended on and the chances are NEVER that great at least around my area. I mean, I could always just order from California but I would never do it cuz that would risk chances of getting it killed on accident.

I think Cuttlegirl was asking for more info on the octo 91lxstang said s/he just bought... (and I've been looking for an opportunity to mention that I think I could be 67v8stang if I used the same naming convention-- Erich and a few TONMOconners have seen my car!)

UK Availabilty

:smile:

I have succesfully ordered an Octo from Wilmslow Pets and Aquatics here in the UK and only after a certain degree of questioning from the owner. He himself is an experienced ceph keeper and I was somewhat assured that he took the time to perform due dilligence before ordering one for me.

There is also an aquatics shop in stockport called SMA that currently have a O. Vulgaris for sale. Here however I spoke to the fishkeeper in the store and was told that they had had him for around four months (plus pre capture life would make him quite old). I decided to speak to the owner on my way out of the shop to see as he was "getting on" would he take any less, (Just a matter of interest I hasten to add) and was told that he wouldnt take any less for him, and I quote, ...as he was a male he was not tied into the octopus 1-2 year lifespan and would live indefinately...!:mad:

ps Wilmslow Pets also stipulated that I had to be at the store when the Octo was delivered so he wouldn't have to aclimatise twice! This is something that I was going to insist on anyway but again it is in my opinion a good sign that the primary concern here is the welfare of the animal and not the potential profit.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back