Octopus Availability

Reaction score
Are there rules they would have to follow for Animal cruelty laws if they sold and maintained live animals? If they only sell dead and frozen food animals there wouldn't be a problem. If people have been calling, the manager would be the first to get worried about legal issues.

Reaction score
Illithid said:
Are there rules they would have to follow for Animal cruelty laws if they sold and maintained live animals? If they only sell dead and frozen food animals there wouldn't be a problem. If people have been calling, the manager would be the first to get worried about legal issues.
Well, I wouldn't think there are any laws behind them not having live octopus cuz the manager didn't mention it. She told me they only sold live lobsters and they never get anything else live because of condition. They want it as fresh as possible and the only way to achieve that is by having it dead and frozen. I wouldn't have though animal cruelty though...10 million tons of octopus are killed yearly and in asia, if alive...there gonna die anyways so having that in the US would be possible. Im sure there's places in New York with oriental restaurants that have live fresh specimens.

Reaction score
If you visit, be sure to take along an adult. It sound like they may be more willing (and less suspicious) if there was an adult along. It also sounds like you may have to be a repeat customer (or maybe know the secret password?) before they let you purchase a live octopus. It all sounds a little fishy to me.

Reaction score
cuttlegirl said:
If you visit, be sure to take along an adult. It sound like they may be more willing (and less suspicious) if there was an adult along. It also sounds like you may have to be a repeat customer (or maybe know the secret password?) before they let you purchase a live octopus. It all sounds a little fishy to me.
Oh yea, i'll bring an adult. Iv decided to just go there tomarrow (monday) and see exactly what the heck their saying. Cuz, I wouldn't have a clue why they would tell me they actually have them and sell them and even gave me their approx. size...and then turn around and say they didn't have them in. They wouldn't lie to me like that if they want to sell and make money.

Mabye the fishermen I spoke to at first said they had them in because he had the possiblity of phsyically getting them for me? I mean, he asked when I needed it by so, i'll just have to see what happens when I get there. Lol, im expecting a snotty manager to lay it down on the line and say they don't sell them.

I exected this Co-Op to be special cuz it's only 1 of 2 in the whole New jerseu state. There's one in Belford, and the one here in point pleasant. There's even images of this place online fishing for catches...so, I thought them actually have live octo's made sense cuz it seemed like such an individual market as opposed to all the other common ones. It's probably just an ordinary store.

Akyu

GPO
Registered
Reaction score
Just went into The Octopus Gardens here in Berkeley, CA, the store that from which we bought Ossie and asked if there were any octopus for sale. They just got one in yesterday. They said it's about a foot and a half long but right now, it's huddled into a ball that's around the size of a cantalope.

It's way too big for my tanks; probably suitable for a 125-150 gallon tank. It's $74 but the species is unknown. From what I could see, it's breathing okay, and is a reddish/brown color.

Sharon

erich orser

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
There was a Korean-run sushi place in Los Angeles' Koreatown (Da K.T., yo!) where the advertised house specialty was live octopus in hot pepper sauce. I never went there, obviously, but some folks I know went earlier this year, so it's still open. I would have probably ended up recreating the scene in E.T. where Elliot frees all the frogs in his biology class - "Head for the ocean!" - and then been hacked up by some very angry sushi chefs. Those knives are really sharp, too.

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
tonmo said:
We are exploring a means to get some eggs into the hands on my shrimp provider, such that we can sell octos from ShrimpStuff.com. Stay tuned!
Just want to follow up on this item. Unfortunately we're not able to make this arrangement work out. Let's keep the search here going -- perhaps we can find a sponsor that TONMO.com can work with to be our "certified" octo provider for hobbyists. Appreciate everyone's diligence on this, especially Nancy.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bee_bee

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan