Octopus Availability

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately for the pet trade, it is not legal to sell live bimacs in the state of CA. However, with a fishing license, you can catch them and take them home (as dinner or pets) and several members have tide pooled their own. Walking the beach at low tide may help you find someone who is well versed in locating them or can find and give (not sell) you one they find.

Here is a link I recommend as a starting point when you are thinking about getting an octopus. The, Box of Chocolates link under species will give you some ideas about where animals are acquired and their different personalities.

orioszz

Hatchling
Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I had a few cearribiean octopi over the years that had over a year of fun and live shrimp.
I just obtained a brown octopus from a local shop.
He is quite small.
I am wondering how I can identify him.
Any ideas how large he will get?

Thanks,
Orlando

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
You can start by trying to get and posting as many photos as can that show the different looks and colors the animal portrays. Try to capture a good feel for the mantle to arm ratio, color at the tip of the suckers, any perpetual markings (like eye spots or specific patterns in the skin).

Also see if your LFS will tell you where they acquired it. Most notably, was it imported (the most likely case if it was purchased from a local wholesaler) or locally caught.

Zach S.

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a young Cephalopod to be my first encounter with one in my personal tanks. I live in New York and they are few and far between up here. I have kept many other types of fish/eels/inverts over the past 5 or so years and would love to add a small ceph. to my collection, does anyone have any young ones for sale, or a lead on when they, or someone else, may have one. Thank you all for your time.

ceph·a·lo·pod

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a young Cephalopod to be my first encounter with one in my personal tanks. I live in New York and they are few and far between up here. I have kept many other types of fish/eels/inverts over the past 5 or so years and would love to add a small ceph. to my collection, does anyone have any young ones for sale, or a lead on when they, or someone else, may have one. Thank you all for your time.
Caribbean Blue in Islip had two Abdopus aculeatus now they have one after I purchased mine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kanakaulu

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards