• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus at low salinity

Nancy;155550 said:
From what I've read, the octopuses that live near the shore and sometimes in tidepools (like O. bimaculoides, the bimac) are more tolerant of changing conditions than the species that live in deeper water. This is one reason why the bimac does well in home aquariums. Heavy rains and outpouring from rivers can result in temporary lowering of the salinity in affected areas.

Nancy

I would guess that most all inter-tidal animal species have evolved to handle low and high salinity. Rain, river run-off... make lower salinity and tide pools where there may be very high evaporation between high tides could reach very high salinity. My guess is that wild temperature swings are also common in these habitats.
I have recently seen air temp here go from 30'F in the morning and within 6 hours touch on 65'F, so a small tide pool could have a pretty drastic change.

So over all as long as the SG is kept above brackish levels, and below Red Sea levels than it's fine. So long as there are no quick drastic swings. What about temperature? Is there any specific temperature that is the catch all for most cephs? I know you have animals like E. Dofleini that tolerates water below 50 F, and animals in the Indo-Pacific that can tolerate waters a little over 80 F. What is the best way, or the determining factor in choosing the most appropriate temperature for any specific cephalopod? (I know most people will say just look at where it's found and match that temperature, but I also know that just because the temperature where it's found is one degree, that doesn't mean that the animal won't do better at a different degree)

esquid;155527 said:
As a survival mechanism, many animal species can be experience extreme levels of stress and disease with no outward signs. Just because you cannot detect changes in behavior, it does not mean that the environment you are housing it in is not detrimental to it's health.

Can anyone elaborate on this a little more. (Not talking water quality) What kind of environmental issues could cause stress, disease, behavioral changes, et cetra on an animal?(or is this too broad of a question?) I'm guessing adequate hiding places, little to no predatory animals, adequate lighting, proper flow that turns the water but doesn't push the animal around the tank,....is there anything else I'm missing. I know with every animal you get you should do your best to mimic it's natural surroundings.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back