Octopus and the tree

cthulhu77

Titanites
Supporter
For those of you that are interested, I have a opportunity to show all of the steps taken in doing an illustration...received an email with a request, then drew up some ideas for the colour illustration, "the octopus and the tree"...

cthulhu77

Titanites
Supporter
This morning, I talked to the client, and decided to go with something less formal in structure, with a little more "grab" (pardon the pun) and did a pencil outline of the piece...(note: my wife just walked into the studio and asked why the octopus is hanging from the tree..."wouldn't it die?" :roll: )

Octomush

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Very cool! But I Think that u should make the octo becoming the tree! Now that would be cool! And then make the tree green like asprout and where the octo starts turning into the tree or sumthin make im green to! Just a suggestion! Ur work is great! :P
PS: Ur client is stupid and knows nothing of art! Ur first one was da bomb!

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
It's very interesting to see the artistic process. I use a similar technique for my bead weavings! I play with sketches and colours then when I get a design I like I transfer to a grid..select my beads and off I go!

J

Snafflehound

GPO
Registered
PTO

You should make the tree a conifer, as it's only the Pacific Tree Octopus that is known to be a tree climber. Art must be scientifically accurate to please the public :P

joel_ang

Architeuthis
Registered
I love those drawings, you're pretty good at this sketching stuff. I like the second one best :) . Are ya gonna carve this image into something or just a painting? I must say your client certainly has interesting taste :)

If only Pacific Tree Octo's were real :roll: ... but why name it pacific if its in the middle of a forest? Yet another flaw in the PTO story...

CarlS

O. vulgaris
Registered
Nice line work, and I like the muted complementary color scheme 8)

Is this illustration going to be used as part of a story, or is it just a standalone piece? Either way, it would work well :)

--Carl

cthulhu77

Titanites
Supporter
It is a piece to complement a bit of prose written by the client...I'm not sure if it is going to be in a book of shorts or not...glad you like it!!
I finished off the glaze washes this morning, once they dry, it will be time for the pen and ink lining!

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Thank you very much for letting us see the whole process in creating this wonder octopus illustration.

I'm interested in the size of the sketches and final drawing, paper used, and the washes - are theycolored ink or watercolor?

You're very talented!

Nancy

lifetrance

O. bimaculoides
Supporter
Wow, very impressive :notworth:

Would love to get a higher-resolution shot of the final product, so I can print it out or use it for my desktop picture =)

I'm still waiting for Dr. O'Shea's squid sketch on a T-shirt!

-Brandon

cthulhu77

Titanites
Supporter
Nancy...this is a fairly small piece...only 12x16 inches, on illustration board, using aniline dyes, windsor newton watercolours, and good ol india ink...no stops are used, prefer to do all lining with a brush...(good number 000 sable)
started colouring in the front bits, tree and octo...still unsure about what colour for the ceph (all the way from a blue ring to a red )...had to tint the octo slightly red anyway to take a bit of the "bite" away from the fruit...

I will ask about the use of the image for screen savers...not sure about the print though...might be a bit of a conflict, as all my work is copywritten...will check on it!
greg

CarlS

O. vulgaris
Registered
The image as it exists right now would make a very attractive poster. :)

BTW, the gray rock formations in the background? I just noticed that the third from the left resembles one of the giant stone statues from Easter Island. 8)
Is that just a happy coincidence, or is that part of the underlying story?

--Carl

Melissa

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Supporter
The whole process is wonderful to see. Thanks for showing us the steps of your craft. I can't begin to fathom the brushwork with India ink - everything I do is changeable - this is what computers do well - so something in which a mistake would be the end is far out of my depth! Awesome.

Melissa

Members online

No members online now.