Octopus #2 Has arrived!

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
We got her home around 2PM EST. Dripped for a good 2 hours. Introducing her into the tank was the easiest I have ever had, as she was all curled up in a piece of pipe the store let her have. I have never seen an octopuses eye glow white before. In the one pic you can see it. She ate 5 minutes after coming out of her pipe and now is holed up behind the bubble filter in the corner of the tank. Everytime I look at her, she flashes colors and her eye goes white. Very strange and is a first other than older octos eyes going white from old age. I hope I will have better pics as the days go by! We think she's a vulgaris. A little thin, but fattening her up should not be a problem at all with the appetite she seems to have!

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Welcome to Octopus #2 (who must really be Octopus #9 or #10)!
Strange about the eye. She does seem a little frightened.

So do we have a name for her yet?

Nancy

monty

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Supporter
:welcome: number two! (That sounds like a secret agent name from S.P.E.C.T.R.E. or C.H.A.O.S. or something)

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Hey Colin! How R u? Think I now have 2 of the same kind. I posted another thread comparing Squiggles with Octo #2 and they seem to be similiar. And I think Squiggles is already guarding eggs! :cry:

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Ya know....I have gotten such a variety of octopuses, all lumped under "Common Brown Octopus" or Vulgaris. I think I've had about 6 different species. I always have to go look when they say they have one in.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Congratulations and welcome to Octopus #2. Is he going to get a real name or will he always be know as the mysterious Octopus #2? :smile:

Nancy

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
I'm open to suggestions! I'm at a loss for the first time namewise, so I've been referring to him as Octo#2...He's doing very well. Likes to watch us. Has taken up residence under the bubblefilter in the back corner where we can always see him. He flashes colors when we bend down to look. I fed him a huge local crab yesterday, as I did not have anymore food other than this crab we rescued after the last hurricane. He stayed out in the open feeding and when he was done pushed all remains to the front of the tank so I could remove them. That is a first. None of my octopuses have ever deliberately put the remains in an easy spot to be removed. He has different colorations than Squiggles. While he does the small polka dot look, he also puts larger white spotches along with the tiny dots plus did the conehead with the black/white split perfectly down the middle. I'm thinking these behaviors are related to eating as he had just captured the huge crab.

Members online

No members online now.