[Octopodcast]: Episode 4, Interview with Kat Bolstad (Tintenfisch)

Tintenfisch said:
Cool idea. We may wind up with friendly debates over 'kephalopod' vs 'sephalopod'... :wink:

Yeah, I have always been confused about the pronounciation of the word cephalopod. Considering its greek origin, I think we should pronounce it like them. Cephal means head and is pronounced Ke-FAL so I think its most appropriate to pronounce cephalopod like that. However, my french origin keeps telling me that CE should always be pronounced sssss and not KKK...:bugout:

Oh and episode 4 was very cool to listen to! congrats kat and tony

eups

monty said:
I was inspired by your comments on pronunciation in this broadcast to suggest: could you make a section for sound bites of how to properly pronounce all these scientific names?

Uh oh- in New Zealandese?

Ar-(g)ee-t(ui)-tis,..., that's a shame, English speaking people people are unable to reproduce the Greek for "ch" and "eu": closest are probably "ch" as in "Och aye!" and "ou" as in "house" when pronounced by a Scotsman :biggrin2:

Unless they're fluent in German, of course :wink:

The German 'ch' can also be closely approximated as the h-sound at the beginning of 'huge.' As for the German 'eu' I would say English 'oi' (which is evidently different from the Greek 'ou'?) making Architeuthis (German pronounciation rendered into literal English phonetics) 'Ah-chee[ch as above]-TOY-tiss.'
But I wouldn't want to guess at the pronounciation of 'dux' auf Deutsch ... rhymes with English 'books' maybe?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back