• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopi as pets?!

darkshines

Hatchling
Registered
I ADORE octopi, and only just found out today you can keep them as pets! I have been reading up about the cost, the bites, the fact they don't live long, and that they are escape artists! I like in the UK, is there anywhere that sells them, or places I can go see a set up/octopi in a home enviroment? I love the idea of having an octopus in my home!

Welcome to Tonmo! Do all your research here before you decide to setup the tank...getting an octopus can be a fairly difficult task sometimes, what size tank do you have/plan on having? BTW , the plural is octopuses or octopods...I used to think (like most people) it was octopi. See you can learn something new here everyday! Other posters on this site have plenty of videos of the octopuses/cuttles in home, you'll here from them soon.

:welcome: to TONMO!

Octos are harder to get in the UK than the US, but it is possible, Colin is probably the most knowledgeable about that. Starting with the ceph care section under the articles is a good place to get the overview (the ARTICLES tab seems to have vanished in the home page redesign, but they're available on the home page itself.) Also, the "Octopus Availability" thread has the latest info on where octos may be purchased, as far as we know...

Octavarium;117910 said:

octopodes :heee:

If you do decide that you want to get an octo in the UK, I would suggest setting up your tank and keeping that stable for about 2.5 months before you start looking around for octos, otherwise you may think you have a source that wont have octos in three months, once your tank is done cycleing, but as Monty said, Colin is the best one to talk to about it.

Oh.... one more thing, I would not atempt to set up a tank for any particular octopus, chances are, you wont be able to get the one you want. I would go with no less than a 55 if not 75, the bigger the better because you can always get a small octo in a big tank, but not the other way around

darkshines;117908 said:
I ADORE octopi, and only just found out today you can keep them as pets! I have been reading up about the cost, the bites, the fact they don't live long, and that they are escape artists! I like in the UK, is there anywhere that sells them, or places I can go see a set up/octopi in a home enviroment? I love the idea of having an octopus in my home!

Hi there, welcome to TONMO.com

Give me a PM or email when you have a tank and you are ready for keeping an octopus and I'll put you in touch with a great shop for getting them - they deliver too

cheers
Colin

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back