Octopets

Thanks for the updat, Nancy. I'm also going to give them a call on Monday. Jack knows the buiness, andmay even be able to chime in on what's going on with Jim, Assuming Jack is still working at fish supply.

I might call Monday, too, just for details about their wild caught octos. Size, species, price, availability, etc. I'm much more ambivalent about plucking something from the wild though to put it in a tank, however.

Dan

Wow...Somehow I missed this news about Octopets. I sure hope someone is inspired to pick up where Jim left off. I wonder what has happened to all the existing stock? Ink came from octopets. Really hope it doens't go completely under.

Carol

I think you'd have to call the aquafarm directly about that. If there is remaining stock, I would think Fish Supply would be happy to have it.

Dan

If Fish Supply or some other group didn't take the remaining stock (assuming there was any), then putting the bimacs back in the ocean right next to Octopets would be very easy. There are already bimacs living there.

Nancy

News from FishSupply

Hi all,

I was able to talk with someone at Fish Supply today and this is what I learned.

First of all, Jack, who was our octopus contact person, no longe works there. David is the new contact person.

Although they won't mention names, they say that the bimac breeder (this has to be Octopets or the successor) will be providing them with bimacs in a few weeks. In the meantime they have "Bali Octopuses
, whatever species that is. The one they just had in had eyespots and looked something like a bimac. It was 3-4 inches long. They intend to continue offering the "Bali Octopus" along with the aquacultured bimac in addition, they have blue rings - I told them I was surprised that they would carry blue rings. This is a change for them.

You can pre-order an octopus and they will contact you before they ship to make sure you'll be home to receive it. Your credit card is not charged until that time, either.

So, what this seems to mean is that bimacs are continuing to be bred, but we don't know whether there is still a retail outlet at Octopets or whether they'll sell through LFSs. Fish Supply has the advantage of being physically very near the Octopets site and I believe the bimacs have been mostly transported by car to the store, so stress is minimized.

I'm determined to find out what's going on with Octopets, so stay tuned for another report.

Nancy

Thanks for the news, Nancy.

Was it acknowledged in your conversation that there was an issue with the "breeder?" When I emailed them about availability two weeks ago, they said essentially the same thing, "we're expecting some in stock in the next few weeks." If the worst were true (ie, no cb bimacs) one might construe that Fish Supply still thinks they're waiting on a shipment that's a little late.

I don't know if I trust their "bali" octopus. It seems like this is a blanket name distributors give to octopus in lieu of understanding their taxonomy. If it comes to returning to wild-caught octos, I'd feel a lot better if they had a local diver getting things.

Dan

Thanks Nancy -- good to know. I had been trying to reach Jim myself about 5 months ago... we had active correspondence going on, and they suddenly dropped off. Let me know via email/PM any new contacts as you get them, thanks!

Latest update - I'm trying to contact the head of the Carlsbad Aquafarm, the big aquafarming concern of which Octopets was a part.

I did talk with someone else based on the Carlsbad property who provides various species for research. He believes that Jim has left, but that the aquafarm may continue the bimac breeding.

I'll try to find out more tomorrow.

Nancy

Nancy said:
Latest update - I'm trying to contact the head of the Carlsbad Aquafarm, the big aquafarming concern of which Octopets was a part.

I did talk with someone else based on the Carlsbad property who provides various species for research. He believes that Jim has left, but that the aquafarm may continue the bimac breeding.

I'll try to find out more tomorrow.

Nancy

Any update on this?

I had left a message at the Aquafarm and someone returned my call and gave me a new phone number for Jim at Octopets, but it turned out to be the same one I have.

Will try again on Monday.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back