Octopets

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by DHyslop, Feb 5, 2006.

1. DHyslop

DHyslop Architeuthis Supporter

Found this and thought I'd share. I hope that guy who posted earlier tonight doesn't use it for evil instead of good.

California Coastal Records Project - Image 9041

The floating nets in the back are presumably the oyster farms and I assume the octos live either indoors or in the small lagoon to the lower right. There's also some more photos of the area: 9040 is also pretty good.

I'm not a stalker, am I?

Dan

2. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Interesting!

Octopets sent me a pic of their facilities a few years ago - looks like they've grown. Wild bimacs live in the lagoon, from what I understand, and the ones they raise are in tanks.

Nancy

3. dwculp

dwculp Pygmy Octopus Registered

Is Octopets even in business anymore? Their website does not work properly and I sent an email to them and never got a reply.

4. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

The web site looks ok to me (well, I just went to the first page, and clicked on the bimac pic and got to a pricing page, but it worked that far.)

They are known to be kinda bad about responding to queries sometimes (overworked, understaffed is the usual explanation).

5. DHyslop

I'm having trouble getting to their detailed pages too. I think Monty's right, but I suspect the only part of the business he has trouble with is the retail side. Even if he stopped that I imagine he would still supply octopuses to fishsupply, liveaquaria, etc etc.

Dan

6. dwculp

The website appears fine until you try to order anything then you get database errors. On top of that you cannot see any detailed information that you used to be able to get to.

Any other outlets for cultured octopi? I was really hoping to get a baby cultured bimac in the near future and now I am sad as I dont know where else to get one!

7. Nancy

Fish Supply is a good source and they handle the Octopets bimacs. Right now they're showing none available on the website.

Nancy

8. DHyslop

Fishsupply told me last week they're expecting sellable stock any day now. Every few weeks we'll hear mention from someone here or on RC who called one of the places and has some info. Perhaps there's enough interest to warrant a bimac availability sticky thread?

Dan

9. joefish84

joefish84 Sepia elegans Registered

or any species for that matter ive been trying to get a briareus for a while now and cant seem to find one

10. DHyslop

I would never presume to be able to keep track of briareus availability because I would question any LFS' identification.

I think it is lost on many that the nature of wild-caught octos means it is a crapshoot to get anything, much less a specific species at a particular store (or ten particular stores, for that matter). I don't think there's a way to keep track of who has what.

With captive bred bimacs, however, there are verifiable populations that are coming mature at predictable times going to known retailers. You can say that "Liveaquaria got a bag of eggs from Octopets last week...should have some available for sale in 8 weeks" or "heavy rains in Carlsbad wiped out brood stock...probably no new bimacs for 3-5 months."

Dan

11. lockburn

lockburn O. bimaculoides Registered

12. cuttlepusman

cuttlepusman Larval Mass Registered

octopets

octopet is gone, jimmy moved to do some research on other animals. just wanted to let you know, i used to work for him, but he has moved on. i dont know if carlsbad aquafarm will continue to grow octopuss but probally not. just wanted to let you guys know. jimmy might still have some in tanks where hes moving to but he might

13. DHyslop

14. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

AGHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

15. William Tyson

William Tyson Vampyroteuthis Registered

houston we have a proublem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Nancy

Oh, nooooo.....not back to wild caught bimacs again :sad:
    Now I understand why my calls weren't returned.

I wonder whether we at Tonmo will have to take up the slack and try to raise our own bimacs and other large-egged species.

I'll do some more investigation and see what I can find out.

Nancy

17. DHyslop

This is quite a blow to the octopus hobby. I'm still a bit shaken up about it.

Right now I believe that my system is capable of raising a festoon of eggs with the addition of 10 little critter cages. If I remember correctly baby bimacs will take 'pods directly and don't need rotifers or mysids like baby bandensis? My LFS is octo-friendly, and I bet I could talk them into taking the extras when they outgrow the cages, or if there was demand I could ship them off to TONMO'ers.

I know that actual breeding is something that I can't bite off, but I think this would be a start if we could find a source of eggs. Unfortunately that part will probably be the problem. I'm sure we could find an LFS/diver who could obtain eggs, but I don't know when egg-laying season is. I'll have to do my investigations this weekend.

Nancy--please report back as soon as you hear anything!

Dan

18. dwculp

I hope there is someone else producing baby bi-macs as this has shattered my hope of getting a baby octo and having it around for awhile!!

Does anyone know of any place that may produce and then sell to dealers? I notice there are a few places that list "captive born bi-mac" for sale. Did they all come from Octopets or are there others?

19. DHyslop

They all come from Octopets.

20. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Thats bad. They owe me a bunch of money since last year and haven't returned emails or phone calls. Suck.