• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

octopets

HEY GUYS, I LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND AND AM REALLY INTERESTED IN BUYING AN OCTO OFF OCTOPETS AS THEY DONT SELL OCTOS IN THE PET SHOPS HERE, AND I WAS WONDERING IF IT WAS A WISE IDEA IF I ORDERED ONE OFF OCTOPETS OR WHETHER I SHOULD TRY TO CATCH ONE MYSELF!!??????
REUBS

feeding

so with feeding do you just put in the whole bunch of the pods for the octo to eat all at once or do you put them in their own tank and feed sparingly every day? Also with hermit crabs, do you just buy a whole lot of them and throw them in the tank or only add a couple a day?, every other day? :goofysca:

I think the way most people do it is to add the amphipods to the octo tank. And add a few of the crabs. But then start keeping the food in a separate place and add it daily, even offering it directly to the ocotpus. This might be putting out some baby clams in a lid, or dropping a hermit crab in front of the octo, or offering a piece of shrimp on a feeding stick.

Many of our octo keepers have reported in detail on the first weeks with their octopus. You might want to go look at the Journals and Photos forum.

By the way, I found I could keep a small quantity of crabs in a large turtle bowl - no filter, just changed the water frequently.

Nancy

Hi and welcome to TONMO. com!

We recommend at least a 50 gallon tank for bimacs (that's what octopets sells).

Feeding depends on how old they are - under three months, several times a day, after that, once a day.

You'll find a lot of good information about tanks and keeping an octopus in the Ceph Care articles. Just click on the Ceph Care button above. You might want to look at the Equipment List and the Checklist.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back