Octopets update?

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by flash02161, May 24, 2005.

1. flash02161

flash02161 Cuttlefish Registered

Does anyone know what the current status is at octopets? or how long the wait is? I ordered some baby clams from them, and now I just need something to eat 'em.

My LFS owner can get me one this week for $295 but it being my first I'm not going to spend that much money, and his supplier said it will be 6 months before the price drops.

2. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

When I reported on Octopets on May 10, the news was that it would be 6 or 8 weeks before any bimacs were available. Jim has been shipping older bimacs to some people who've been on the waiting list a long time.

$295 for octopus? What species is it?

Nancy

3. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

must be a mimic or wunderpus?

4. flash02161

flash02161 Cuttlefish Registered

i was asking for a bimac, im not sure who his supplier is, but he said the demand is somewhat hight right now and the supply is very low

5. Mizu

Mizu Vampyroteuthis Registered

295!!!!!!!!
    thats insane
    like reallllyyy insane
    dont spend that much money on an ocotpus that you wont even know how old it is
    that nuts
    just because its exotic does not mean you should gouge the customer like that wow
    man
    sorry
    /rant off

6. joefish84

joefish84 Sepia elegans Registered

as homer simpson said
    "30 seconds! aw but i want it now!"

thats how i feel... along with the nervous twitch

7. clownfish

clownfish Vampyroteuthis Registered

so octopets is now on a hold is everything else avalable?

8. LiquidFunk

LiquidFunk Blue Ring Registered

I placed an order yesterday may 28th,, ill make a post if I hear anything.

9. sneegs

sneegs Pygmy Octopus Registered

I've had the pleasure dealing with Jim at octopets. I've been waiting for a baby octo for months. I thought I'd give octo-eggs a try. Shortly after talking with Jim a few times over the phone we thought we would try getting them across the border as I live in BC Canada. Unfortunately they were held up in customs. A week later after their original shipping day they arrived at my front door. The clams and pods did not survive and most of the festoon grew a fungus on them. I was able to salvage one egg which hatched on Saturday night and there is one more that may still be developing. I go to the beach every other day to catch small pods and tiny sand crabs to feed the little guy. I hope the other egg will hatch soon. I would not hesitate to deal with Octopets again now that I know the process at customs and I will be ordering another festoon soon. It's amazing watching them develop and gratifying watching them hatch! I also have an O. vulgaris in one of my other tanks, he's wild caught but now that I've found Octopets I think I'll stick with O. bimaculoides. Just want to send out a thanks to Jim at Octopets and I'll be doing business with them again.

10. LiquidFunk

LiquidFunk Blue Ring Registered

well I wonder how long it will be before I hear from them. havent heard a peep yet.

11. lockburn

lockburn O. bimaculoides Registered

Congrats on hatching your octopet! Looking forward to updates (and pictures!)

12. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Sneegs, it's amazing that you actually have a hatchling after such a hold up in customs.

You're one of the few we've heard from who's ordered the festoon of eggs. Good luck with the little guy!

And welcome to the site!

Nancy

13. kaotik

kaotik Pygmy Octopus Registered

thats kinda strange, i called them about a week ago and left a message and Jim called me back in like an hour. You should try again!

14. sneegs

sneegs Pygmy Octopus Registered

Another egg hatched yesterday, he's a little smaller than the first and is able to squeeze himself through the small slits in the breeding container. I frantically searched for him this morning searched the entire breeding unit, upturned all the PVC piping only to find him sitting on the bottom of the main tank. I thought I would lose him in all the liverock but I calmly scooped him up in my hand. If I didn't know any better it was as if he swam into my hand. I put a fine mesh net around my breeding unit in case he attempts another escape.