OctoNewbe

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by OctoNewb, Mar 23, 2008.

1. OctoNewb

OctoNewb Larval Mass Registered

I have been wanting to get an octopus for a while now, and I have not taken the dive into octopus territory yet. I have been keeping salt water tanks for a little over a year now, and have been reading about octopuses for a few months. I have a 29g tank that is currently cycling, and I am deciding if i want to do octopus or reef. What are some of the smaller species of octopuses that could fit in a 29g. I would like to stay away from the dwarf, since they have such a shory life span. Any info on these species will help, and anything else you know, or any suggestions on my setup will be help full. Thanks in advance, -OctoNewbe

2. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

:welcome: to TONMO!

unfortunately, 29g is pretty small for anything but a dwarf. We've recently seen O. hummelincki a bit, and they're sort of intermediate-sized, but we haven't really seen enough of them to be sure... someone's keeping one in a 29 now, but it's not clear that it's full grown yet. Also, one of the main reasons for the requirement is water volume, so having a sump for extra would help there a bit, but in general we recommend a 55gal for non-dwarf octos.

3. OctoNewb

Where is the best place for me to do research on the dwarfs, and where can I order one that will know the exact age of the one I am ordering. I dont wont to order one, and it be 5 months old and die in a month.

4. dreadhead

dreadhead Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

dwhatley's Trapper's Babies-Tank Raised Mercatoris is a good place to start reading(in journals and photos).

5. OctoNewb

Thanks, Im reading through it now.

6. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Octane (hummelincki, acquired as an adult) is in a 30" long x 24" tall tank it is really not long enough for him. I do 5 gallon weekly water changes and have a protein skimmer, a cannister filter, an overflow filter (primarily for oxygen/CO2 exchange but it does have additional charcoal and a small filter) in a small sump with LR and LR in the primary tank so his water quality has not been a problem but they like to swim as well as explore and there is not enough length to allow him to complete a swim. IMO, 4' long x 2' tall would be a minimum recommended size.