• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octo water temps??? Anyone?

I have been reading for a long time and I am finally getting my tank for an octo set up. One thing I have read is that cooler temps are better for octos then warmer temps because it slows there metabolism and they live longer. Some of the stuff I have read says they need as cold as 60 degrees. This seems very cold to me for a tropical octo. Am I wrong here? Or is there some truth to this? Maybe I misread it and they are talking about coldwater octos... though I thought they needed temps colder than that. Clarification please?

Temperature is species specific, so yes, you were reading about colder water octos at 60 Deg F. The octopus you have most likely seen discussed at the cooler temperatures are the bimacs from the Pacific Ocean. Tropicals are usually housed between 75 and 78.

Proper temp for the Caribbean species is between 72 - 78 (I Keep mine a little warmer to emulate her natural habitat). The cold water species require temps from 56-68, 60 seeming to be optimal.

Depends on whether you want to emulate summer or winter in the Caribbean and where in the Caribbean the animal was taken. Temperatures around Florida are still cool, so 70 would be O.K. By August that would stress the animal and the high 70's would be better.

Roy

Neogonodactylus;153785 said:
Depends on whether you want to emulate summer or winter in the Caribbean and where in the Caribbean the animal was taken. Temperatures around Florida are still cool, so 70 would be O.K. By August that would stress the animal and the high 70's would be better.

Roy

I record the temp of the water on the sea floor exactly where I caught Legs. This year the temps went below 70 once and killed everything. The range where i caught Legs was from 78 - 84 right now the temp is 77 degrees.

When it comes to my octopus tank, my motto is: When in doubt, do what nature does. So I think it would be ideal to change the temp every month in order to match the average monthly water temp in your octopus' native habitat. Although I have very little empirical evidence, it makes sense to me that temps in the low end of the natural range would tend to extend life (or at least not shorten it) so if I were to pick a constant temp, I would go with a temp that is 25% above the bottom of the natural annual temperature range. So for example if the average monthly water temp rangees between 72 to 84, I would go with 75.

Joe-Ceph;153788 said:
When it comes to my octopus tank, my motto is: When in doubt, do what nature does. So I think it would be ideal to change the temp every month in order to match the average monthly water temp in your octopus' native habitat. Although I have very little empirical evidence, it makes sense to me that temps in the low end of the natural range would tend to extend life (or at least not shorten it) so if I were to pick a constant temp, I would go with a temp that is 25% above the bottom of the natural annual temperature range. So for example if the average monthly water temp rangees between 72 to 84, I would go with 75.

If you read my journal that is exactly what i have done.

I agree with the when in doubt ... but I have begun to wonder if emulating temp changes, and especially the cooler ones may induce females to brood.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back