• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octo Trouble

Dools

GPO
Registered
My new octo (which I believe is a aculeatus) is definitely not looking good. He is very pale and lethargic resting on a powerhead. I had my water parameters checked by my LFS and was told everything looked normal. I don't have the actual numbers, but he knows I have an octopus and is knowledgeable on their requirements. My octo has a mantle about 2 inches long and has tentacles at approx 6 inches. Is it possible he is at the end of his lifespan? I am hoping that is the case and it is not my tank that is causing the situation.

There had been many observations mentioning about lose of coloration during the end of their octos life. Have you noticed any clouding around eyes or any other details that you may haven't said in your last post? I'm not sure if I may be right but, adults tend to grow up to this size (the 2" mantle to 6" arm ratio and perhaps even 7 inches).

Sadly, most A. aculeatus are captured at the end of their lifespan and spend only a little time in our tanks. This species seems to age almost overnight, unlike most where we see small aging indications along the way. I suspect you are correct in your concern and the end will be in a day or so.

Unfortunately you were both right. My octo did pass away today, :sad:. I contacted LiveAquaria and they will be refunding my money. I will try again, but only after I return from a trip to CA at the end of the month. Any suggestions when I order a new one?

I was afraid of that, not a time when you want to be "right". Unfortunately the Indonesian species are hit and miss but with the exception of the nocturnal Macropus (unknown species but most have been the same), the life spans have been dismally short. If they offer a Caribbean you might have better longevity but it might also be an adult O. mercatoris. I have ordered a couple of octos from LA actually trying to get an aculeatus since I have not really kept one (except one I took from a member who was leaving the country and it died shortly after arrival of old age) but have received a nocturnal dwarf (probably be in the Abdopus complex) and a Macropus. The Macropus' seem to do well (mine and others) but they are very nocturnal, the small Abdopus was both nocturnal and short lived.

How large is your tank?

I have a 46-gal bow tank. It is really too bad, he was very interactive the first day or so; then quickly started declining just as you described. I would really like to try again and maybe if I can get a smaller one, it will last longer. I'll definitely post when I do. Thanks for the advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back