Octo Tank

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by Burstsovenergy24, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Burstsovenergy24

Burstsovenergy24 Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

Im in the very first stages of getting an octo tank. Right now Im dealing with live rock. I heard some where that 1.25 to 1.75 lbs per gallon was recommended. Well Im planning on getting a 40 gallon tank for a bimac and was looking at Fishsupply.com to see the prices. Fiji Live Rock...1 Box/45 lbs for $99.00 looks like the best deal to me but then its only 1.125 lbs per gallon. Do you think thats ok?

Jesse

2. shannen74

shannen74 Blue Ring Registered

Hey there,

When you go to order live rock, don't forget to consider shipping costs. Rock weighs A LOT!

I got my cured live rock from a fish store for a steal at $3.50 a lb, but I have seen it around pretty steadily for $4.00 a lb. This ended up being a better deal after ordering it when I included shipping costs.

Cheers,
    Shannen

3. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

Yeah that will do the tank and if you need to you can add lumps here and there from your LFS as many of them sell cured live rock to add straight to a tank :)

4. Burstsovenergy24

Burstsovenergy24 Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

Ok thanks!

But the problem is I dont have any LFS that I know of besides Petco and Petsmart and Ive never seen live rock there. Any ideas?

5. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Surely Atlanta has some LFSs that sell salt water aquariums and they would have live rock (check the yellow pages). I'd think you'd want to see live rock and at least pick out a few pieces. You can get quite interesting shapes. Be sure to get cured live rock.

Nancy