• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octo proofing a 12g Nanocube

twiggyb

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
How would I go about doing this? It used to be home to my mantis which passed away last week and I was thinking of trying a dwarf octo sold on TBS. How would I go about making sure the octopus won't escape? Are the teeth where the water flows to the back compartments too big and if so, what should I do to make sure it can't get through. Thanks for any help. I still might get another mantis, but I've always wanted to try a ceph. My original plans was to make my now reef an octo tank once my 225 was set up, but unfortunately I won't be able to afford the extra tank once the big tank goes up.

I'm going over to visit Richard of TBS on Sunday, and I was going to ask him about getting some dwarfs. :mrgreen: As far as Octo-proofing, just look through some old threads until someone more experienced posts. :bonk:

We have had a few people try nanos for O. mercatoriswith varying success but a 12 gallon tank is really too small even for this rather laid back dwarf. The keepers I remember did initially have a problem with the octo going into the sump through the sump grid. You can minimize the risk by keeping the tank as the lowest point possible and still have enough water flow to keep the pump running and providing plenty of LR to provide alternate dark areas. If you can put a course sponge behind the overflow grid (above and below but not blocking), this should dissuade an adventure. Alternately, you can light the sump to remove the attractive darkness. You will need to do heavy water changes AND vacuum the substrate EVERY week to have any chance at life-time success but I would not recommend this set up for an octopus.

Sprite on, just thought I'd check here first. I guess I'll just get another mantis. I do water changes every week on it anyways to keep the corals nice and bright and because the mantis I had was a more sensitive species to water params. One of these days I'll get me an octo. Until then I'll just admire everyone elses on the web here:heee:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back