Octo proof overflow/U Tube

neptune

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
Reaction score
Have scoured the previous post database, and need to know if anyone has ever came up with a solution to covering either the overflow or the U tube. Had fiberglass screen on my U tube and regardless of cleaning it can clog any time it feels like it. Tried to widen the gage to no effect and started wondering if that was not a bad idea in the first place. That stuff I now believe is an alien reject from Star Trek!!!!!

Alll advice is appreciated! :D

Burstsovenergy24

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Supporter
Reaction score
If it's a big octo just put the overflow all the way to the top of the glass. It shouldnt be able to squeeze its beak through. Ive also heard of puting a bioball in the U tube. Hope that helps! :)

neptune

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks BOE
It's a Bimac and a wee little 2 month old at that. I do not want to restrict water flow, as much as possible, and every screen I have tried is a nightmare.

I don't mind cleaning them if it works!

krogey

Blue Ring
Registered
Reaction score
I had a little baby first and althoug i dont have an overflow i have alot of pipes comming in and out of the tank which meant alot of little crevises that i had to make escape proof...

The answer...

FLY WIRE... and marine safe silicon.

i was able to seal the whole tank, and when I get my new tank in a couple of weeks with the overflow I gonna do the same thing... leave the exiting screen on though if I were you and put the fly wire over it, you will have to clean it every day probably but as soon as the octo i big enough you want to be able to just take the fly wire off with as little hassle as possible - if the old screen already there you'll have no worries!

Hope this helps..

:D

neptune

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
Reaction score
Appreciate the advice!

Went to a local store with the wife and picked up a needle point weaving thingy. (sorry not my area of study) I removed a series of connecting joints? And Viola' no more resistance on the suction. I Attached by cable tie, and so far really good results. :D

However, as with the last screen experience, I have little faith. But, so far so good!

Tnx, will definately will keep your post in mind if I have to go to plan C or is it G no wait K! :bonk:

neptune

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
Reaction score
BTW - krogey what is FLY WIRE. Sorry but I live in the states, Florida, and the only thing I think of is mosquito netting. Is that about the same?

krogey

Blue Ring
Registered
Reaction score
Fly screen maybe...

the stuff that goes over windows etc to keep flys out... do you have flies in Florida :D

krogey

Blue Ring
Registered
Reaction score
nope synthetic fibre, do you guys have metal fly wire over your windows?? I need to get out more... hehehe :oops:

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Reaction score
both are easy to find at lowes/home depot/any hardware type place you like.... (i know after rescreening many a window for my folks as a youth) i imagine the synthetic is easier to work with.....