• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octo-Proof lid

cr3w66

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hi all,
I have a cycled 70 gal tank that I'm waiting to mature before I put an octo in it - probably (or hopefully I guess!) I would like to put a briarieus in there. To give you an idea of my tank: it's eurobraced with the 2 pieces cut out on the top. I had put 2 pieces of glass with hinges and locks to octo-proof it, but the heat build up is unbelievable! It's easily over 100 deg here in the summer:sun:, and a fan seems to be doing the trick, but not if the top of the tank is sealed. I've found some window screening that I thought may work, but the frame is made out of some kind of light metal... Any other ideas that would make it secure but easily enough to get into when needed?
Thanks!
~Chris

I'm pretty happy with my window screen and duct tape lid. Tank stays between 74-76, plenty of room to run a fan across the top of the tank.

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1401-1.jpg

IMG_1399.jpg

Try keeping the lights off for a day and see if the heat still builds. If not, can you raise the light fixture? We bought shelving brackets and put Octane's lights about a foot over the tank and that helped a lot (I also run a fan over the sump).

I use one made of that plastic fluorescent light defuser and fiber glass window screen and have all my intakes and outlets run through sponges with little holes cut in them then stretched.

Attachments

• conv_292852.jpg
    conv_292852.jpg
    854.4 KB · Views: 84
  • conv_292853.jpg
    conv_292853.jpg
    836.9 KB · Views: 105
  • conv_292854.jpg
    conv_292854.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 91
  • conv_292855.jpg
    conv_292855.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 89

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back