Octo-Proof lid

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by cr3w66, Jun 1, 2008.

1. cr3w66

cr3w66 Cuttlefish Registered

Hi all,
    I have a cycled 70 gal tank that I'm waiting to mature before I put an octo in it - probably (or hopefully I guess!) I would like to put a briarieus in there. To give you an idea of my tank: it's eurobraced with the 2 pieces cut out on the top. I had put 2 pieces of glass with hinges and locks to octo-proof it, but the heat build up is unbelievable! It's easily over 100 deg here in the summer:sun:, and a fan seems to be doing the trick, but not if the top of the tank is sealed. I've found some window screening that I thought may work, but the frame is made out of some kind of light metal... Any other ideas that would make it secure but easily enough to get into when needed?
    Thanks!
    ~Chris

2. dreadhead

dreadhead Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

If you use acrylic to cover the tank you can cut holes and use a hot glue gun to attach some screen over the holes.

3. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

I'm pretty happy with my window screen and duct tape lid. Tank stays between 74-76, plenty of room to run a fan across the top of the tank.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Try keeping the lights off for a day and see if the heat still builds. If not, can you raise the light fixture? We bought shelving brackets and put Octane's lights about a foot over the tank and that helped a lot (I also run a fan over the sump).

5. Redoc

Redoc GPO Registered

I use one made of that plastic fluorescent light defuser and fiber glass window screen and have all my intakes and outlets run through sponges with little holes cut in them then stretched.

Attached Files:

6. Keith

Keith Vampyroteuthis Registered

awesome. im stealing your ideas :)