Octo in my engine

CaptFish;176015 said:
if the octopus would crawl about three inches deeper into the boat I could close the valve, and open the port and just grab him, but I cant get him to move.

Does that mean that you could close the valve, so that water wouldn't run up into the engine room when you remove the acrylic cover, but that the octopus would be on the wrong side of the closed valve, so you couldn't grab him? if so, then close the valve, remove the acrylic cover, and siphon off some water out of that vertical tube. Then replace that water with super salty water, replace the acrylic cover. Wait about 30 minutes and open the valve. The super salty water is heavier than normal seawater and will fall down to where the valve is. When you open the valve the salty water will move into the space where the octopus is, and he'll probably decide to head back to the nice water outside your engine. (He might come back the next day, but with any luck he'll have found a better place to live.)

A valiant effort my friend but there is one more technical difficulty, I like this game, When you close the valve then open the port all the water in the engines cooling system drains out, because the valve and port are both mounted below the engines, and there is no valve between the engine and the port. So we have the valve closed the cap off and we fill the now about one gallon area with extra salty water or whatever. Once we seal the port and open the valve a bout 20 gallons or so of water rushes into the engines to replacing the water that drained out when we opened the system.... I thought about some how adding salty solution higher up on the engine but I cant think of were.

Did you see/try my idea with a really bright light over the plexiglass? It would seem that, left on long enough, he would seek the darker water outside the intake (potentialy to be a meal for the sharks rather than the engine :sad:). If you happen to have several hanging about, another may give you an opportunity to try whatever new ideas you develop.

Did you see/try my idea with a really bright light over the plexiglass?

I did, however I did not get to give it a good try. i had a bright light i was using to view the little guy but for the short period i had it on him he just froze up and didn't move. The boat went out the next day after I posted and i had other things to take care of. I had already spent to much time on the project.

That had to be frustrating but it was certainly interesting (Neal did not belive me when I told him and I had to show him the pictures :wink:). It makes me wonder if they are common in the marina and if you just dropped a dark jug over the side and checked it occassionally, if you could catch your own easily.

HE'S ALIVE!!!!!!

I'm going to leave him be.

The last trip on the boat was kinda my farewell voyage and final check out criuse for the new captain. so since April 17 I have not been to the boat. I spoke with the captain today because he had some technical questions, he informed me that "Pulpito" was still there. Pulpo is octopus in Spanish. so his name is slang for little or baby octopus, not very original, but it does roll of the tongue nicely.

my new semester just started and I am super busy already. i will try to go by there and snap a picture for the story but no promises.

Ah that is so awesome!!! I really hope you get him out! Has the shark situation gotten better since you discovered him?

Since that day the boat has done a few day trips. so, some how the little guy is hanging on somewhere. Or possible leaving when the boat starts then returning when it stops.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back