Octo ID

A local fish store here in san francisco has an octopus and the owner has asked if I could ID it. Its a pretty young specimen. It looks like one ive had before in which I never identified. I know its tough with these pictures, but thought Id ask. Ive never kept a dwarf, so im not terribly familiar with them. Anyone have any ideas? It was pretty much all brown. I didnt see any eye spots at all.

DSC00095.jpg

DSC00096.jpg

DSC00094.jpg

Just make sure your hands have no soap sunscreen etc on them, also I would wet them before the octi can touch, to protect the octis skin. Do be aware that the octopus can nip and all carry a neuro-toxin, so if you're in any way allergic to seafood (for eg) it's probably best if you don't touch!

J

Upvote 0
In the paper Mucktopus wrote when she analysed a couple of undescribed octos she mentioned that they were caught using common household dishwashing liquid and that some form of testing could not be done because this was used. I assume it is lethal and does something to the gills but failed to ask her more about it at the time of the posting.

Upvote 0
It could be a de-oxygenator. I know for example that an old method for poaching fish was to put washing up powder in the river and the salmon would all rise to the surface, many would die quickly and get lifted easily out of the water.

Upvote 0
I've been told (I forget by who, so possibly someone who isn't credible) that soap somehow impedes gills working correctly, like it coats them or its effects on surface tension mess up the gas exchange or something.

I know if you spray soapy water on a terrestrial insect, it can block the respiratory openings, even though surface tension normally prevents that with non-soapy water.

Upvote 0
right, soapy water seems to weaken surface tension. When i worked with leafcutter ants we had them behind a moat of water, some could ocassionally skate across the surface but if you added some washing up liquid they sunk into the water and drowned

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back