Octo ID

20190729_164458.jpg

I got this little bugger today!

I was told he was collected in southern Florida and the marine biologist believed him to be a O.Briareus but cannot be certain.

He is very small at the moment.

He came out of his PVC pipe to say hi and inspect me. Then darted into the rocks when the 2 damsels came to inspect him.

Any ideas on his species?

Also, I thought the 2 damsels would end up making a good lunch for him, however he is small and I'm now worried they may be more of a danger to him. Do you think I should try to get them out or do you think he will be ok and eventually will eat them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes on the O. briareus ID. You can get an idea of age looking at the photos in Tatanka's thread My guess is that he is about the same age (4.5 months) as the beginning of Tank's personal thread (earlier life history linked in the first entry).

Upvote 0
Yes on the O. briareus ID. You can get an idea of age looking at the photos in Tatanka's thread My guess is that he is about the same age (4.5 months) as the beginning of Tank's personal thread (earlier life history linked in the first entry).
I reviewed some of those posts/photos. The 4.5 month video the octo looks way bigger than the one in my tank. He looks much more developed. Judging from the photos of Tanaka, my guy seems to fit after the July photos but prior to the August photos. My photos may have been deceiving for sizing. I would guesstimate my octos legs around 3" long. Hes pretty small right now.

I also saw in your Tanaka thread that Nancy had mentioned Brearius can be frightened to death. I surely hope that is not the case with my octo as he was frightened by the damsels which caused him to jet into the rocks. The damsels were removed right after. I had not known the danger of damsels until then.

Upvote 0
At an arm length of 3", I would agree that your little guy is younger than the 4.5 month image. Your biggest challenge will be to be sure she/he is eating and not getting frustrated that you rarely see your new friend. It is hard but be patient.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back